Mission 8 IR Maverick not firing

Jonnylap1

Hi there,

I must say that both your Serpent's Head campaigns have been fantastic so far!

My issue is regarding Mission 8 in the Serpent's Head 2 Campaign. I can't seem to get the AGM-65F IR Maverick to fire.

I have confirmed that it is targeting the vehicle nicely and is uncaged in the selected DDI, but it stays X'd out the entire time. 

I have also ensured that the seeker head has adequately warmed up as well and the timer has counted down.

I have tried running in from further away, but if I don't stay really close I get the "Mission Failed" message. 

My question is, is using the AGM-65F mandatory to pass the mission, or can I equip the AFTLIR and laze the target using a laser guided Maverick?

Thanks so much for your help!

My Rig => VR: Meta Quest 2 128GB w/Link Cable | CPU: i7 10700k | RAM: 64 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti | DCS Storage: NVMe 1 TB WD Black SN770 | OS Storage: SSD 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle, TM Warthog F-18 Stick, Logitech G Pro Pedals

Yes. They are both on. I was successful using the laser guided ones 2 mins prior. I didn't turn them off after. 

My Rig => VR: Meta Quest 2 128GB w/Link Cable | CPU: i7 10700k | RAM: 64 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti | DCS Storage: NVMe 1 TB WD Black SN770 | OS Storage: SSD 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle, TM Warthog F-18 Stick, Logitech G Pro Pedals

16 hours ago, Jonnylap1 said:

Hi there,

I must say that both your Serpent's Head campaigns have been fantastic so far!

My issue is regarding Mission 8 in the Serpent's Head 2 Campaign. I can't seem to get the AGM-65F IR Maverick to fire.

I have confirmed that it is targeting the vehicle nicely and is uncaged in the selected DDI, but it stays X'd out the entire time. 

I have also ensured that the seeker head has adequately warmed up as well and the timer has counted down.

I have tried running in from further away, but if I don't stay really close I get the "Mission Failed" message. 

My question is, is using the AGM-65F mandatory to pass the mission, or can I equip the AFTLIR and laze the target using a laser guided Maverick?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi

The answer to the last part is yes if you want you can add a TGP as I do not restrict you rearming at the start of a mission.

The thing is though the load outs were designed to test you in certain ways. I will check it out and get back to you here.

EDIT: Have now flown the mission and used the AGM-65F’s without any problem. 
You obviously have to have master arm on and AG set plus set up the Mav so it is timed out. I also always set each missile to max zoom mode stepping through each one.
You also need to play around with the screen contrast etc. to make the targets as visible as possible as it is the contrast which will help with the lock.

Place the triangle in the HUD display in the area of the target.
Select the Mav screen and once you move the TDC the cross hairs of the Mav will become stable to a point on the ground.

Now move this point until it is over the target. The cross hairs which are not normally connected at their meeting point will close on the target. You than have a lock.
If the cross hairs refuse to lock you can depress the TDC with the target very close and if you have good contrast the cross hairs will close on the target.

You are then good to fire the missile.

Hope this helps 

Badger633

Edited by Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:12 AM, Badger633 said:

Hi

The answer to the last part is yes if you want you can add a TGP as I do not restrict you rearming at the start of a mission.

The thing is though the load outs were designed to test you in certain ways. I will check it out and get back to you here.

EDIT: Have now flown the mission and used the AGM-65F’s without any problem. 
You obviously have to have master arm on and AG set plus set up the Mav so it is timed out. I also always set each missile to max zoom mode stepping through each one.
You also need to play around with the screen contrast etc. to make the targets as visible as possible as it is the contrast which will help with the lock.

Place the triangle in the HUD display in the area of the target.
Select the Mav screen and once you move the TDC the cross hairs of the Mav will become stable to a point on the ground.

Now move this point until it is over the target. The cross hairs which are not normally connected at their meeting point will close on the target. You than have a lock.
If the cross hairs refuse to lock you can depress the TDC with the target very close and if you have good contrast the cross hairs will close on the target.

You are then good to fire the missile.

Hope this helps 

Badger633

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried again and still can't seem to get the cross hairs to close despite pressing the TDC. 

Everything is armed and ready to go and the countdown is long over. The triangle is where I want it to be, but no lock. 

If you got it to work in your end it surely must be something I'm doing wrong. Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out eventually. 

Thanks ayways for double checking.

7 minutes ago, Jonnylap1 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried again and still can't seem to get the cross hairs to close despite pressing the TDC. 

Everything is armed and ready to go and the countdown is long over. The triangle is where I want it to be, but no lock. 

If you got it to work in your end it surely must be something I'm doing wrong. Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out eventually. 

Thanks ayways for double checking.

To be honest getting a lock is not the most user friendly operation and does take practice. Suggest you look at a few videos and if possible set up a simple mission with a target and the Mavs. Then get plenty of practice iat different times of day so the lighting is varied. 
Things may improve with the new FLIR system DCS are bringing out.

The ability to lock a Mav is in the main DCS Sim. and not as a result of any Campaign scripting so nothing I can adjust my end.

Hope you get it sorted.

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.