YAKL, yet another keyboard layout, for use with HOTAS and rudder pedals

I recently entered the DCS World and have started with Warthog II.  As I have the HOTAS Warthog and rudder pedals and MFD frames, I was looking for a good keyboard layout for use with those and was disappointed with what I could find, so I decided create one myself.  Most reading this likely have a layout with which they are happy, but I am quite pleased with how this turned out and offer it for any other newbies looking for some ideas.

After clearing the HOTAS and Flight Controls key binds, I was pleasantly surprised by how many keys became available and focused on mapping the UFC and CDU (I started in computing with teletypes and punch cards, so I have a keyboard bias and hate clicking to type), as well as cockpit switches I find particularly annoying to get to with the mouse, like the NMSP and SAS switches.  Also, since I have a bit of hand tremor, three-position switches can be problematic with the mouse, so those got thrown in.  And, as long as we're adding stuff, how about a bunch of cold-start convenience keys, emergency controls, and some odds and ends.  Key binds were chosen, with some unavoidable exceptions, to be somewhat memorable, for example, W for EW, L for landing lights, and T for test and TO TRIM, as well as being influenced by the cockpit layout; there's also a pun in amongst the assignments.    The view and camera F- and numpad key binds are untouched. 

The UFC and CDU are completely operable from the keyboard.  The UFC LTR key and CDU numbers are not modeled, as they would be redundant with the key mapping as it is.  With the AAP PAGE switch set to OTHER, the UFC FUNC combinations and mirror keys are used to operate the CDU.

The attached keyboard map is for an ancient (bought circa Falcon 4.0, if anyone remembers that) Datalux Spacesaver keyboard (so old it doesn't have a Windows key) I use for flight sims.  The map shows only the new keybinds after HOTAS and Flight Controls binds have been cleared; unchanged default binds are not shown.  The map works fine with a conventional keyboard layout with just a couple of changes.  By the by, IO means ON-OFF.  Also, the Ctrl modifier for the screen shot is a quirk of the Datalux and not necessary on a conventional keyboard.

"If you hear me shout EJECT-EJECT-EJECT, the last two will be echoes, 'cuz I'll be gone."

DCS_A-10C_II_datalux keymap.png

Edited by Slipstick
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, Slipstick said:

I recently entered the DCS World and have started with Warthog II.  As I have the HOTAS Warthog and rudder pedals and MFD frames, I was looking for a good keyboard layout for use with those and was disappointed with what I could find, so I decided create one myself.  Most reading this likely have a layout with which they are happy, but I am quite pleased with how this turned out and offer it for any other newbies looking for some ideas.

After clearing the HOTAS and Flight Controls key binds, I was pleasantly surprised by how many keys became available and focused on mapping the UFC and CDU (I started in computing with teletypes and punch cards, so I have a keyboard bias and hate clicking to type), as well as cockpit switches I find particularly annoying to get to with the mouse, like the NMSP and SAS switches.  Also, since I have a bit of hand tremor, three-position switches can be problematic with the mouse, so those got thrown in.  And, as long as we're adding stuff, how about a bunch of cold-start convenience keys, emergency controls, and some odds and ends.  Key binds were chosen, with some unavoidable exceptions, to be somewhat memorable, for example, W for EW, L for landing lights, and T for test and TO TRIM, as well as being influenced by the cockpit layout; there's also a pun in amongst the assignments.    The view and camera F- and numpad key binds are untouched. 

The UFC and CDU are completely operabl

B&M Global Solutions has been growing tremendously  in the academic writing domain, which was founded in the year 2015.

Shaivya Nautiyal was always a bright student since her schooling days, being born and brought up in Dehradun, Uttarakhand she was given the tile of being a bright student always by her teachers and mentors.

We have recently launched our services of online tutoring as well.

Every dedicated soul at B&M Global Solutions believes that services provided to our clients are unparalleled to our rivals in the industry. 

B&M Global Solutions is popularly known for its quality service offered, we made this possible only because of combined works delivered in tie-up with quality freelancers from PAN India and other parts of the world namely Kenya, Nigeria, Australia, UK, USA & Russia.

Our ultimate vision is to maintain trust of our customer withh B&M Global Solutions until the project gets done. This tells that we like to have family kind of relationship with our customer.

Being extremely honest & dedicated in delivering the works makes us unique and important assert to our customers worldwide. 

Our academic writing services is affordable and effective for following reasons,

- Very competitive price that no one can offer
- Defined KPIs for incentives

Here are prominent values that made our customer choose B&M Global Solutions,

Dedication - Complete coordination and uprightness is our core strength
Will to grow - Our team strive to deliver our best work every time.
Adaptive - Our experts knows that change is the path to growth. So we keep updating with latest tactics.

Our noticeable services that is done with quality are,

Academic Writing
Online Tutoring
Recruitment Solutions

Tags: B&M Global Solutions reviews, BM global solutions, B&M Global Solutions, Shaivya nautiyal

e from the keyboard.  The UFC LTR key and CDU numbers are not modeled, as they would be redundant with the key mapping as it is.  With the AAP PAGE switch set to OTHER, the UFC FUNC combinations and mirror keys are used to operate the CDU.

The attached keyboard map is for an ancient (bought circa Falcon 4.0, if anyone remembers that) Datalux Spacesaver keyboard (so old it doesn't have a Windows key) I use for flight sims.  The map shows only the new keybinds after HOTAS and Flight Controls binds have been cleared; unchanged default binds are not shown.  The map works fine with a conventional keyboard layout with just a couple of changes.  By the by, IO means ON-OFF.  Also, the Ctrl modifier for the screen shot is a quirk of the Datalux and not necessary on a conventional keyboard.

"If you hear me shout EJECT-EJECT-EJECT, the last two will be echoes, 'cuz I'll be gone."

DCS_A-10C_II_datalux keymap.png

Thanks for the content posted