Ryzen 3900x vs 5800x - worth the upgrade for VR?

Mrtanqueray

Hi all, I've been rocking a 3900x for about a year and a half now. CPU frametimes are acceptable in simple singleplayer missions but leave a lot to be desired in MP. Has anyone upgraded from a 3900x/3700x to the latest generation? If so did you see a noticeable decrease 1% lows or better framerates?

33 minutes ago, Mrtanqueray said:

Hi all, I've been rocking a 3900x for about a year and a half now. CPU frametimes are acceptable in simple singleplayer missions but leave a lot to be desired in MP. Has anyone upgraded from a 3900x/3700x to the latest generation? If so did you see a noticeable decrease 1% lows or better framerates?

Hi, not the exact change you're planning but can report real noticeable improvements going from R5 3600 to R5 5600X.
Couldn't tell you frametime differences as I didn't measure them with the old CPU, but certainly can notice in game, especially MP.
Full specs: R5 5600X (PBO2 curve enabled, no OC-too many crashes), AIO 240mm cooler, 6800XT, MSI Pro B550A, 32GB RAM, NVMe etc....

• Like 1

Just looked up the 5800x 3D - do we have any numbers on how much of an impact L3 cache size effects performance in DCS?

EDIT: After a little bit of research it looks like L3 cache has a pretty profound impact on game performance. I'm eager to see the 5800x3D benchmarks - they should be out within the next couple months.

Edited by Mrtanqueray

I don't know why anyone else hasn't chimed in about this as well, but until DCS gets the multi-core implementation, individual core speed is crucial for performance.  I'd look at that more than anything else if you must buy right now.  Can you overclock and get what a 5800x could get or close to it?  Might save you some money.  Also, I've read multiple people say how incredibly hot the 5800x gets, and is mainly why I chose to get a 5900x instead, which runs much cooler and also means you have more headroom to push the performance.

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2

checked the specs

5800x 32mb L3 cache...

5800x3d is 96....

but 5900x is 64mb...

and the only difference in games is the slightly core boost...

is it that having 8 more cores the l3 is not so effective ??

AMD 5800 x3d Ekwb liquid cooled - 32 GB 2 x 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C14D-32GTZ - rtx 3080 Asus Ekwb liquid cooled - Asus Dark Hero X570 - M2 Nvme 1tb 980 pro - M2 Nvme 1tb 970 evo - some other HD

Reverb G2 VR headset  + Leap motion hand controller 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition’ Ultimate - Extended + Custom made Speed "bugfeedback" stiffening joystick with arduino and DCS Bios - Trhustmaster Wharthog throttle -MFG Crosswinf pedals -Simshaker controling a Jetseat and 2 bassshakers

On 3/12/2022 at 6:30 AM, EAF51_Jimmi said:

checked the specs

5800x 32mb L3 cache...

5800x3d is 96....

but 5900x is 64mb...

and the only difference in games is the slightly core boost...

is it that having 8 more cores the l3 is not so effective ??

In the 20+ years of computer gaming, I've never heard of anyone using L3 cache as a serious metric for whether it will do well or game well.  From what little research I've done, it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal on newer games, maybe it is for cpu rendering (referring to VFX movie stuff) where that extra memory could be useful, but I honestly don't know.  Where DCS fits in that new vs old with all of the updates done + upcoming major ones (multi-core + vulcan), I'll let you decide.  From what little research I've done on the 5800x3d, I personally would not want it at all.  It's been "down clocked" to 4.5ghz and new reports are suggesting it can't be overclocked.  There is also still the possible temperature issue and if they fixed that as well. 

Look at any benchmark testing done and you'll see almost always the biggest metrics for performance are speed and temps, in this case core speed.  It's why Intel was the gaming champ for so long, since they had cpus that could hit 5ghz+ while AMD was sitting mid to low 4ghz AND games couldn't take advantage of multiple cores.  Down clocked and LOCKED at 4.5ghz is a major downgrade from getting an unlocked cpu and getting it to 5ghz ballpark.  Make no mistake, 4.5ghz to 5.0ghz, even the stock 4.8ghz (5900x), is huge, nothing slight about it.  I got my 5900x to boost to around 5-5.1ghz without having to do anything crazy, and coming from my 2700x, which could only really do low 4s overclocked, it was a huge performance difference.  DCS VR needs every little bit of performance possible, as only a couple of frames could be the difference between smooth clear gameplay and stuttery blurry gameplay.

Bigger memory is only better if it's either faster or was even a bottleneck to begin with.  For example, what good is a 3090 with 24GB of VRAM if you only 2D game and max out at 8-12GB (FYI DCS VR does in fact use up all 24GB).  

My 5900x and 3090 offer good clear performance, but it took a ton of trial and error tweaking to get there, and I have to lock it at 45 fps, and even then it's not always perfect and has moments of stutters when a lot of stuff is loaded (mainly at airports).  I personally refuse to sacrifice clarity though, so I accept those small moments of performance hits. 

This also brings up another point, we don't know what OP has for a GPU.  It could be that their money could be better spent trying to upgrade that instead of getting something that will offer either breakeven or marginal gains.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: And until the 5800x3d is released and benched, everything is just speculation.

Edited by Chaos_Out

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

Welp, the 5800x3D is out and the benchmarks have been extremely positive for game performance. We'll have to wait for some user's here to benchmark it but there is a possibility that it will play nicely with DCS and be a solid option for those of us who aren't quite ready to leave AM4

@Chaos_Out I'm running a 2080 Ti - my current bottlenecks in order of severity for VR multiplayer are RAM (I only have 16GB @ 3200), then CPU (3900x)

Realistically I'll probably pick up some RAM now, then wait for AM5 to come out and swoop up either 5800x3D or a 5900x for a bargain when everyone else upgrades.

Edited by Mrtanqueray