What documentation was used to guide the creation of the JF-17 flight model?

Stackhouse

3 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

My other post was just talking about informational sources and how there are reports of JF-17 making a couple of kills. I have previously linked articles in older threads from a year or two ago when this was discussed.

Sky Dragon SD-10A SAM: http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.com/2013/09/chinese-sd-10a-sky-dragon-medium-range.html

Yes I forgot about the sky dragon. But I am only aware of the drone kill

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 4/1/2022 at 9:59 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Yes I forgot about the sky dragon. But I am only aware of the drone kill

Yes... not much written about its deployment or successes.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 3:10 PM, Javers said:

Well if you know what you’re doing in the F-15C or the F-14 you can give the JF-17 a hard time as well. There’s a point where both of these aircraft can keep lifting their nose up over the top while the Jeff can’t possibly follow and if you know how to exploit this against it it’s difficult for the Jeff to win. The Jeff’s acceleration is very exploitable. Even while clean the Jeff struggles accelerating out of low speed relative to other planes, and it’s not good at sustaining a vertical fight. The Mirage is capable of utilizing this same advantage against it, but the Jeff has a pretty significant rate advantage over the Mirage (on top of being able to mimic a lot of its maneuvers) so unless the Jeff pilot makes a major mistake it’s harder to consistently pull them into that situation compared to being in the Eagle or the Cat.

EDIT: In my experience flying the Jeff in BFM a lot of pilots seem to be caught off guard by its low speed nose authority and overlook or greatly overestimate its engine power. So they don’t think to take advantage of that weakness. It can pretend to be an F-18 but it can’t sustain it for as long as the F-18. It’s like an F-16/F-18 hybrid or imo more accurately an F-16/Mirage hybrid. It can mimic those planes, but don’t be fooled, it can’t recover as quickly as any of them.

Almost forgot, there’s another weakness that many people who don’t fly the JF-17 don’t realize. At around like 450+ knots the G-limiter severely hinders its turning capability and I find myself unable to keep up in a chase with most planes turning at these same speeds. I’ve yet to run into a pilot purposely exploiting this against me though, I think most just assume I’m intentionally sitting in deep lag pursuit. Turning off the FCS can help a little at these speeds but not much for some reason. All these planes would have to do is continue to threaten rating around me past these speeds and I would either have to slow down or take the vertical which opens up the opportunity for them to start taking advantage of that power/acceleration disadvantage I described earlier. I feel like there’s a lot of ignorance surrounding the JF-17 capabilities because a lot of people simply don’t fly the plane.

I'm glad other people have figured this stuff out too, I knew I couldn't be the only one. Unfortunately most people I know who own the Jeff don't fly it to the fullest. I love "skating" behind mountains. Once the Jeff is below 75% fuel or so it can sustain high alpha turns really well, you can fly over mountain peaks at around 120kts or lower, you just have to get a "feel" for it.

60% of my kills come from skating around mountains for extended periods of time. Once the enemy flies close enough I'll quickly acquire them with the "lock everything in the HUD" mode.

Edited by Sightline
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, Red_Camarada said:

so, there is no public available flight chart so we can compare to what we have in game?

No. Apparently part of the deal between ED and third parties is that they have to allow ED to see the real E:M charts and other stuff, so that ED can verify the flight model. So we have to trust ED on that one. ED probably suggested some things that Deka did, as the FM improved alot after release 

• Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 2:39 AM, LJQCN101 said:

TO answer OP's question it's a combination of an aero pack from the RL sim (simplified in the form of less LUT breakpoints), a CFD study of LERX+main wing (publicly available), RD93 tech doc, reverse engineering of CL&CD from EM diagram, and FCS tech doc including a set of control block diagram. Every sources complement each other. The equation of motion is a standard 6DOF rigid-body dynamics that is widely used in the industry.

Do you have a copy of the wing LERX CFD study? Or know the title? I was curious if the authors did anything similar g FB or other aircraft.