MP Integrity check logic?

Kind of just a rant. I don’t quite understand the integrity check, or why certain things don’t pass. I assume integrity check is a way to prevent people from modding to a point of “ cheating” in MP? Maybe that’s wrong but the logic in it seems flawed. For example, I use a separate screen for mfd’s with cougars so I like to have a line in the “viewporthandling.lua” commented out so the mfd’s don’t appear in the cockpit on screen. But that fails integrity check every time in MP on say Hoggit servers. Yet I can edit the monitors / viewport files and have any setup or arrangement I can think of, and that is okay. Or weird things like certain texture mods , such as trees on Caucasus. I had one on there that made the trees look 100 times better than the default and it fails immediately, but a mod that smooths out the clouds passes just fine.  I modify the lua files for HUD line thickness in some modules too ( running 32:9 ultra wide and the hud lines look fat and blurry even with brightness dimmed) and IC could care less about that as well.

I’ve tried using the  viewporthandling.lua, and some of the other mods. in OVGME but cant get it to work, not sure if ovgme works for individual files, or quite possibly I just have no clue how to do it properly. 

I’m not much into real heavy modding, but do like simple QOL improvements, although 100% not necessary

Is the integrity check logic something that is set by DCS or the server owners? Just trying to make a little sense of what its actually trying to accomplish.

before the last OB update I had several QOL mods setup and all passed IC as long as I went straight to MP and didn’t load a regular mission or anything first. None of the texture mods affected anything except what I see on my local machine.

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 2

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 4 months later...

Integrity check was a brilliant idea implemented with utter incompetence. It doesn't prevent actual cheating (you can easily fool IC if you know how) and it classes any modified file as a 'fail'. It's so bad that most servers don't run it, it just causes problems. 

I feel your pain on this matter. When ED expanded IC to include everything and playerbase responded negatively, ED ignored all of it and preceded to do it anyway. Intelligence and basic awareness is not something commonly found in Russia it seems. 

• Like 1

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

I get it, to a point. People much smarter than me have the ability to re-code files as they see fit, probably  to a point of unfair advantage. I was commenting on a post the other day of a guy having the same issue, exporting displays with Helios that has to modify the viewporthandling.lua. Do the hardcore sim pit guys that do this just play single player?  It’s not the end of the world. But it would be nice to have things that only affect the client side of things, even just visually, excluded from IC 

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones