Ground units and hiding

So I’ve been experimenting with hovering and hiding behind objects. I’m starting to see that the FOV the ground units have is pretty remarkable and almost no limits like the AI enemy fighters. I’ve tried flanking many times and they always seem to find me right away and fire Sniper missiles at me as I pop up. What gives? Anyone know what setting to use to get enemy units within reality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I see. So AI skill level has no effect. That’s a shame.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

24 minutes ago, Eagle7907 said:

I see. So AI skill level has no effect. That’s a shame.

Well to be fair yes skill level will alter detection range and supposedly accuracy of fire.  Wags had posted something about Ai if i remember correctly may be in the Hind Faq area but may just be about damage model stuff.  Night you have the best chance of sneaking up on Objectives, also make sure your exterior lights are off as that effects detection ranges in that regard.  sorry to sound like a grumpy guss but been waiting long time for really good ground enhancements.

Bottom paragraph ya goes over splash damage but talks about some cool tidbits of Ai behavior and damage

Edited by rcjonessnp175
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Oh thanks. I’ll read up.

Trees are just partial concealment anyways. Use other terrain features like hills and buildings. Also use range.

Could also probably find a way to stay low and sneak the laser onto target for a Hi shot.

Or practice firing Hi LOAL blind and using tof to time your unmask - laser just right 

Also if in multiplayer server, save Sam target point and try relaying grid to a jet. Let them shoot it

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I have done some practice mission in Nevada, which is fairly flat. 

Against SA-13 and 300 systems I have not had much problem getting close to them and in LOS to launch hellfires.

Sometimes I get locked if I have to go over lower powerlines. But as long as I stay low, around 20 feet, sometimes less, they have a hard time getting you.

My tactic when I train is usually go low when I get the radar warning. As I then have a general idea of what direction they are located, and use the terrain to try and hide.
If I see a small hill or mountain I try to position myself into a nice stable hover on the backside. I use the FPV as Wags showed in one of the landing tutorials to guide myself into the right position.
After that I go into a stable hover at roughly 20 feet. When you have positioned yourself all trimmed out, it's much easier to sneak yourself higher to peek over the ridge or slip sideways.
I also like to stay about 6-7 km away from target. Hellfire has roughly 8 km standoff range, use it. If you have proper range, it's also easier to slip down in cover again without panicking if you are suddenly launched at. As you won't panic and dump to much collective.

A lot of youtube videos are showing people hovering at 100 feet or more trying to launch hellfires before they are picked off by some random AA. Or they are sticking their neck out at the top of a hill only to drift past what is supposed to give the cover if they need to pop back down again.

I'm not where I want to be when it comes to hovering, but when you start getting the hang for it, it's much easier to move yourself into the positions you want without getting blown out of the sky.

Before I got it under some control I tended to get a bit to high unintentionally, followed by a big bang 😂.
All systems should be ready when you are coming in. Setting up for hovering behind cover at 20 feet and keeping it stable, while trying to avoid AA is no time to go heads down in the MFD's to configure stuff.

PS, I'm still a noob, and it was much easier in Longbow 2 😆

Thanks all. To the folks about the tactics, my particular gripe stems from some of the instant missions where it’s obvious the intent of the mission is to hide or hold a position to take out an attacker. What I discovered is you can hug a mountain side (complete with trees to sneak around) that is angled backwards to the road an armored column is using. Like clockwork, they immediately know where I am when in LOS, even though it’s over their shoulder. I’m not moving, and I’m in a static hover, so I’m not sure how radar can see me and how they “know” I am there. I mean this area that they are seeing me is through a valley that is very narrow, and can easily be overlook, if they were human. Hence the question.