After action report (sorry no images)

Squid_DK

Noon, getting ready for a training flight with our hosts, russian army aviation, the mission is for a one ship formation (Kamov only did build 20 of these good hardhitting aircraft) to fly up the coast on the Black sea, then make a dash over some small seaside towns, followed by a return flight over the sea, loadout for the flight was 1450 litres of fuel and full cannon and flare stores, wing pylons empty.

I strapped myself into the now familiar helicopter, and my ground captain gave my the usual briefing on the quirks I had to handle. starting the KA-50 has become second nature and is now done without groundpower, I was a bit anxious to be this close to the georgian border after the last conflict here earlier this year.

Tower gave me clearance to turn the engines and I got the beast started, having checked the map and done my preflight I got permission to take off and continue as per flightplan, I turned out over the sea and looked around, then programmed my UV-26 flare dispenser to the standard (for me) programme 3-3-5 (3 flares in 3 cycles with a 5 second interval) I then scanned the sky and the ground to my south... was that a flash on land... Definetely I spotted a smoketrail heading my way fast and started pumping out flares and taking evasive action, the KA-50 has a huge power surplus so that missile streaked beneath me and detonated about 200 meters in front of my ride.

Then I got a radio message "Mya'shoko 501, enemy ground units have crossed the border in your sector, abort mission, return to base and arm up, then find and engage the enemy units". I went low and slow to home plate, then landed and turned my radio to ground frq. asking for an immediate anti-tank load which was granted and mounted on my helicopter very quickly.

Taking off again I head out to sea, still scanning the ground and looking for movements inland, at a range of 8 km the enemy SAM vehicle launch on me again. the missile plunging into the Black sea as I perform evasive maneuvers, I turn on my Shkval TV sensor and find the enemy unit, range is down to 6 km and I get a positive ID on an SA-8 SAM vehicle, I flip my master arm and arm my Vikhr Anti armour missiles, then locking him up and firing a weapon that thunders downrange, it takes less than 10 seconds and the SAM is no more, behind him is the distinctive shape of a ZSU 23-4 I shoot at him immediately and gets another kill. in front of the AD vehicles are a column of 4 T-72 tanks which I destroy fairly easy, making sure to stay out of their engagement zone.

Having killed the last tank (and I will admit sweating profusely) I turn for base, Having landed and shut down the helicopter the base commander came and told me that for an imperialist swine I did ok!

I know that the training here with the KA-50 is not sanctioned to be live fire nor in a warzone I will claim that the georgian SAM vehicle opened up on me while still being inside georgian territory, I was not released to engage before they crossed the border. I do hope this has no impact on my further career!

(originally posted on the Vnavy forums)

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM