Distant aircraft and label scaling at higher resolutions

ClydeBigBird

4 minutes ago, okopanja said:

While it may be true that it is farfetched, measuring distance and considering display advances as well eye capabilities would make this future safe.

I really think this should be a comprehensive solution in order to prevent any future complains, once and for all use cases.

Yeah but it’s not really workable and easily cheated. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

8 minutes ago, okopanja said:

Not without having consequences on head tracking.

TrackIR has all sorts of adjustments. I figure people with large screens which are far away put the tracker on a seat back and mirror it’s input. This view distance idea is just fraught with problems due to the many setups players can do. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

With zoom, or without - I have pretty much the issue with DCS.
To me, the comic thing is that one can clearly see a distant tree, an electric pole or a radio tower mast far, far away and can't see a damn aircraft half way in between. The effect gets even more hilarious when the plane starts defending itself and popping flares, so one can see them being thrown by "nobody". I pretty much can't see things flying further than 6-8 km away. Every craft is at most a pixel size, then when I get closer, it suddenly goes "expected" size.

Edited by madyogi

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, ClydeBigBird said:

When using a 4k display it is extremely difficult to see distance aircraft on servers with labels disabled.  Lowering resolution on the same display to 1080p makes it so much easier to see distant planes it's almost comical.  It's also much easier to see the minimal red/blue line labels at lower resolutions.

I currently have to lower resolution from 2160p to 1080p whenever playing multiplayer if I don't want to be at an enormous disadvantage.  This to me is probably the most glaring issue of the core game at the moment.  Would really like to see a mechanism that scales distant objects and labels so that they are equally visible across different resolutions.

Yes, this is a Uge problem in Stick-n-Rudder 4K combat.

Have resolved the issue somewhat, by resetting the FOV to 45° (from 60-80°), and then correcting the eyeball location.

WWII fighters now have a < 2.25nm visual detection range, but it should be Twice that.

The views are now more accurate as well.

Have these on buttons: Head in and out of the cockpit.

Gunsight2.png

Instrument1.png

Bowie

Edited by Bowie