Question: Can you set azimuth and bar in TWS Auto or Manual

Zaphael

Question for the Tomcat SMEs, can the RIO for example set the the TWS azimuth scan limit and bar, to something smaller (or larger)? 

The intent is to improve TWS update rate to support Phoenix and to deconflict engaged targets with wingman by hopefully shifting the weight of the centroid.

Hopefully, that will allow wingman and I to sort by azimuth for TWS Phoenix launches.

Edit: Can this be also set via a Jester wheel setting? E.g. "Scan Azimuth Narrow" 

Edited by Zaphael

Not a real Tomcat SME but TWS is limited to ±20° 4 bar scan and ±40° 2 bar scan. A pretty small chunk of sky it has to scan in comparison to the more flexible RWS. Maybe with the APG-71 this changed and the scan volume could’ve been larger.

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Each track must be updated every two seconds as a condition for AIM-54 guidance, so TWS scan volumes are limited to satisfy that requirement.

Scan volume can be adjusted between the two options DSplayer listed while in TWS MAN. In TWS AUTO volume and steering decisions are handled exclusively by the computer. The radar automatically enters TWS AUTO when supporting a missile.

No, you can't out lawyer the iron laws of Hughes Aerospace.

8 hours ago, near_blind said:

Each track must be updated every two seconds as a condition for AIM-54 guidance, so TWS scan volumes are limited to satisfy that requirement.

Scan volume can be adjusted between the two options DSplayer listed while in TWS MAN. In TWS AUTO volume and steering decisions are handled exclusively by the computer. The radar automatically enters TWS AUTO when supporting a missile.

No, you can't out lawyer the iron laws of Hughes Aerospace.

I think as long as the weight of the scan volume does not change in TWS Auto (and start skewing the beam ) while supporting a missile that's okay. 

I was hoping for a more sensible way to have Jester pick out a set of targets more narrowly in order to sort. A human RIO can still TWS Manual and steer the beam, but I was hoping for auto steering with a narrowing beam.

2 hours ago, Zaphael said:

I think as long as the weight of the scan volume does not change in TWS Auto (and start skewing the beam ) while supporting a missile that's okay. 

I was hoping for a more sensible way to have Jester pick out a set of targets more narrowly in order to sort. A human RIO can still TWS Manual and steer the beam, but I was hoping for auto steering with a narrowing beam.

A human RIO cannot move the radar beam once a Phoenix has been employed however. But they can mark targets as Do Not Attack and drop the TID range down to make the AWG-9 ignore them. With Jester, you can only drop down the TID range to make the AWG-9 ignore contacts in the back.

• Like 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14