AMRAAM loft solution cue

Dragon1-1

Is the AMRAAM loft cue planned? This is a numeric readout above the target closure rate, and indicates an angle to which you can pitch up to help the missile with the loft maneuver. Also, there's an Ropt cue on the DLZ that indicates maximum range with the loft. When you pitch up to the indicated value, Rpi would grow until it reaches Rmax. The ASC would show the loft steering as well. 

I found a mention of it in an F-16A/B MLU "pilot's guide" that talks about new features in the MLU, not sure if it's OK to link, but I can PM anyone who wants it. The text mentions that this is to support "AMRAAM loft launch capability", so I'd imagine all AMRAAM-equipped platforms should have something like this, although I don't know how the relevant symbology looks like on them. If so, this could change BVR combat in DCS quite a bit. That said, I don't have any evidence for or against this being in Block 50, much less in other aircraft, which is why I'm asking.

• Like 3

At the very least, Rpi should react to pitch angle, because it directly influences how much energy the AMRAAM has to waste making that pitch-up to loft. In fact, this maneuver should also help the Sparrow variants that can loft, though I'm not sure if there was ever symbology for it.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

The ASC would show the loft steering as well. 

The ASC should indicate the ideal course for an AMRAAM launch if the target is in range, otherwise it should indicate an intercept course to the target. I made a thread about that in October 2021.

If so, this could change BVR combat in DCS quite a bit.

It does. I've been guesstimating course and loft angles from the start, it results in higher missile speed and thereby also greater range.

These are screenshots from a TacView of AMRAAM launches at a distance of 40 nm, at an AWACS that is patroling at 19k ft. Both missiles were still going at a speed somewhat above Mach 2 when they hit. And they weren't even fired at crazy high speed and altitude, this is from ~38k ft at M1.15.
Good positioning and flight path before engaging targets are big factors.

1.png

2.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aquorys said:

The ASC should indicate the ideal course for an AMRAAM launch if the target is in range, otherwise it should indicate an intercept course to the target. I made a thread about that in October 2021.

That's what I meant. The moment you cross Ropt, the ASC would switch to showing the loft angle, as well as horizontal steering. Basically, centering the ASC should give you the best possible launch solution.

I'm not surprised that eyeballing the loft gives an advantage, and that's why I'd expect every AMRAAM-equipped aircraft to have those cues. The good news is, no changes needed the missile side, only for the HUD to actually display the loft parameters. Conversely, a nose-down attitude should result in a lower Rpi. The way it is now, the DLZ is not correct at any pitch angle other than zero.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The real AMRAAM LOFT is automatic depending on range to target. The HARM is the same, the further away to the firing solution the increased probability of a LOFT in order to reach the target which is at extreme range but within WEZ. It depends on distance to target and altitude and velocity of both launching aircraft and target. 

Edited by SUBS17
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
The real AMRAAM LOFT is automatic depending on range to target. The HARM is the same, the further away to the firing solution the increased probability of a LOFT in order to reach the target which is at extreme range but within WEZ. It depends on distance to target and altitude and velocity of both launching aircraft and target. 
We're not talking about the loft of the missile, we're talking about manually assisting that loft by pitching up pre-launch. The F-16 should have a cue on the DLZ to indicate that optimal manual loft-assist.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/