Crash every time i take a viggen seat

GottHold

Hi,

So for the past 6 or so months I have this issue, whenever I take the seat in any viggen either MP or SP the game instantly crashes. I ve kept sending crash reports for the past 6 months with the expectation these to be fixed, but apparently it seem to not been acted upon.

dcs.log

2022-06-05 18:58:02.646 INFO    EDCORE: # -------------- 20220605-185803 --------------
2022-06-05 18:58:02.649 INFO    EDCORE: DCS/2.7.14.24228 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.22000)
2022-06-05 18:58:02.666 INFO    EDCORE: d:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\bin\AJS37-Avionics.dll
2022-06-05 18:58:02.679 INFO    EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at D7C418C3 00:00000000

So it looks to me that it is caused by an access violation.
I have tried:
-disabling all mods (Quaggles and the edit for the dynamic campaign mission to maintain persistence)
-disabling all scripts like tacview and self added stuff
-disabling all liveries
-uninstall the module and reinstalling the module
-repair DCS and choose there the all option so it scans all the files and is slow

It is 100% reproduceable on my machine and i literally can't fly the viggen at all. And its only the viggen. I have all other modules and its the only one doing that.

Please for the love of god, help me. 

dcs.log-20220605-181949.zip

Have a nice day!

13 minutes ago, GottHold said:

It is 100% reproduceable on my machine and i literally can't fly the viggen at all. And its only the viggen. I have all other modules and its the only one doing that.

Please for the love of god, help me. 

I havn't flown the Viggen in a long time, so I first loaded it today to see if mine gives the same error as yours ... but nope, mine works without issue:

QAXBtpb.jpg

EPeGo0U.jpg

I'm using the latest Openbeta and a Syria Map mission, this one:

You say that you have reinstalled the viggen and done a full repair of DCS. So, the cause of the problem must lie within your /saved games/ folder ... let's do a quick test:

rename the "C:\Users\reinh\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\" folder, to DCS.openbeta.bak  ... DO NOT DELETE IT, as I don't want to lose your files. 

Now run DCS, it will recreate the above folder with a default configuration, and it will ask your DCS user credentials. Once DCS starts, exit. Now copy (not move, copy) the folder "C:\Users\reinh\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta.bak\config\" to the same location but on the new \DCS.openbeta\ folder, overwriting the default config. This will restore your graphics config and control bindings.

Now, start DCS again ..  does the Viggen work now? ... if yes, then the cause was one of your customizations, most likely a custom cockpit. Let me know how it went.

👍

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Okay i renamed my saved games folder essentially, now it doesn't crash anymore, but my audio driver is now stuttering being in the viggen cockpit. Im trying to see if a restart helps.

thanks for the help already

Edited by GottHold

Have a nice day!

2 minutes ago, GottHold said:

Im trying to see if a restart helps.

What you really ought to do is search for which customization you applied to your viggen that is causing the crash. Did you check if you have a custom cockpit for your viggen?   What we did before was just a test ... you can revert to your prior setup simply by deleting the folder C:\Users\reinh\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\" (or rename it to .bakbak) and then rename the folder "C:\Users\reinh\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta.bak\" back to its prior name "C:\Users\reinh\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\" 

Then remove the viggen customizations, starting with your custom Viggen cockpit or scripts ... until you find the exact cause of your crash.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

4 minutes ago, GottHold said:

Well i renamed my livery folders before already and that wasn't the resolution

OK, I can't from afar discover what is the exact problem, and if you can't locate the cause by checking on your customization or user mods, then the only way forward that I see is to keep using this new default /saved games/ folder and copy from your older folder items that you may need, like your /liveries/ folder, or your /mission editor/ folder, until your DCS is working more or less like you had it before, but without the crashes.

Best regards.

16 minutes ago, GottHold said:

Yeah im going to check one by one. And may i find the source and write in here what caused it.

The cartridge files in the "DCS_AJS37" folder can also in rare cases cause crashes, and can be fixed by deleting/moving them. If that is the problem..

• Like 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Okay update. I believe it was not by a modification from my side. There are/were lua files in my kneeboard which were there i believe by default called 1.lua 2.lua ... etc up to 9.lua

so when i removed the 1.lua file from that folder it stopped crashing. The only modifications i did myself to that folder were adding chucks guides in png images, but these luas are not from me.
Here the 1.lua causing the crash
1.lua

Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, GottHold said:

Okay update. I believe it was not by a modification from my side. There are/were lua files in my kneeboard which were there i believe by default called 1.lua 2.lua ... etc up to 9.lua

The Viggen instead of having a default kneeboard made up of static images, is one of the first DCS modules in having a dynamic kneeboard, where its contents would be created by the Module at run time: Beacons, Airbases, Data cartridges, Elint, roadbases, etc.

So, the default Viggen kneeboard has lua scripts instead of pictures ... but these lua files, are within the DCS Program folder .. on this default path: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\AJS37\Cockpit\scripts\KNEEBOARD\pages

1 hour ago, GottHold said:

so when i removed the 1.lua file from that folder it stopped crashing. The only modifications i did myself to that folder were adding chucks guides in png images, but these luas are not from me.

The DCS repair and module install only touch the program files path, but it seems that somehow you placed those lua files (or a customized version downloaded from user files) on the path where the USER kneeboard resides: /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Kneeboard/AJS37/  ... here you should only have image files, yet it seems that DCS did try to mistakenly run those lua scripts.

Anyway, I'm glad that you found the cause of the crash. Best regards,

Eduardo

58 minutes ago, GottHold said:

But i first just used the kneeboard builder and as far as i know it doesn't write lua's and also myself i never put any lua's myself in there. 

OK, but what can I say?  .. I don't know how those lua files got there, on my Viggen I have there only the images that I placed there, no luas at all:

8ZdMTy1.jpg

And the Module's kneeboard, at Program Files, is where the LUAs reside:

gpTcZoH.jpg

🤔