Is it ALL in the rudders?

edmuss

Hi all, actually owned the black shark module since about 2013 but never gotten fully conversant with it (not enough time to dedicate to simming and took many other things on the go). Since I got my G2 last year and started more seriously learning in VR in DCS I've spent considerably more time in it and slowly getting conversant with the systems.

Using a warthog with a 75mm extension for cyclic and inverted throttle for collective but my rudder pedals (especially ancient TM RCS units that I'd converted to USB by cannibalising an old PS3 Logitech wheel) were stiff, clunky and not hugely accurate.

I decided to design and build myself some new rudders and retire the RCS.

I've now got them setup and the shark is a completely different animal, I now have complete control authority over the yaw and it's all just clicking into place. All AP channels off and I can now bring it into a hover pretty easily and instigate a funnel without thinking about it, is it really as simple as that?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I played around with it quite a bit some time back...  my take away was that I do like it, but...

I found vikhr's more difficult to use in close combat, while guns and rockets were about the same.  Vikhr's at distance is pretty similar.

I do like the way the heli behaves...  but I found ultimately that I prefer a bit of the stability augmentation.

If you're holding the trim button while flying (you should be) you kinda have the best of both worlds...  full control authority but with the stability augmentation that gives you that last bit to get guns on target more steadily.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Yeah I'm holding trim whilst manoeuvering (been watching a lot of @Volk. videos) and I do normally run with some of the AP channels on (bound them to the trim hat on the warthog stick) but I'm finding that even without the AP it's really controllable now I've got such granularity on the rudder axis.

I'm getting to grips with the vikhrs, again having such large travel on the rudders means it's really easy to line them up. The cannon is super easy and I suck with the rockets 😁

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Rocket runs are definitely a skill. Though if you're getting a a solid hover without any AP channels I'd imagine they just need a little bit of practice.

Just remember to dial in the ballistic setting to the type of rocket you're firing, and give yourself enough time to line up.

• Like 2

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

1 hour ago, Volk. said:

Rocket runs are definitely a skill. Though if you're getting a a solid hover without any AP channels I'd imagine they just need a little bit of practice.

Just remember to dial in the ballistic setting to the type of rocket you're firing, and give yourself enough time to line up.

My main issue is usually forgetting to turn off pitch control and it sits there bobbing up and down; trying to time the rocket launches when it's oscillating never works 😁 

Like you say more practice and a longer run in should make things run a bit better.

Hours and hours of bombing around in helos in arma3 seems to have prepped me reasonably well for general flight, it's FM is actually very much like flying the shark. With the better rudders it just feels like it goes exactly where I want it to.