Unknown keyboard layouts are defaulted to US English and can not switch layouts while game is running

I have a german keyboard, but I'm a programmer. By default, windows doesn't come with a "No Dead Keys" layout for german keyboards. Certain keys, for example ^, ` or ´ need to be pressed twice for them to be typed because they're used in the creation of accented characters such as é or ô by first hitting the accent button an then hitting the key that you wish the accent applied to. I rarely to never need that feature and as a programmer I use those accent keys as symbols and typing them twice and then deleting the extra is just tedius.

To that end I have created my own, custom windows keyboard layout file that has those keys "non dead", meaning they type immediately. However when that keyboard layout is selected, DCS defaults the layout to US English.

Furthermore when the game is running, switching the keyboard layout in windows has no effect on the keyboard layout the game uses. So when I select my custom layout, I can't play properly because all the bindings are for a german keyboard. And then I have to shut the game off to change the layout.

Here is the custom, german layout for testing.

You will need the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) from Microsoft. I could attach the completed msi installer, but given that it is an executable, it would be unwise to execute it, since it is not trusted. Open the attached layout file with MSKLC, generate the installer script and you will get a new keyboard layout option in windows. In case you do wish to run the untrusted installer file, I have attached it as well and you don't need to bother with MSKLC and you can just install the layout.

GermanKeyboard-NoDeadKeys.klc German_amd64.msi

Edited by FalcoGer