Christen Eagle Cold Start Tutorial - Stuck in Pumping Fuel

einarabelc5

I've found the DCS "training" tutorials to be consistently broken. Their trigger/event system is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough, it either skips through steps or it literally sits there waiting for you to do a step over and over again. So either:

1.-There's something wrong with my set up throwing the triggers off in an unforeseen manner.

2.-There's something wrong with the triggers because I've seen this in all modules I've tried cold start or landings on: Christen Eagle, F18, F16, Su-27, Su-33, Su-25. 

I did a search for  this module and found this thread, which by the posts in May 19th and 26 that this module exemplifies what I'm talking about on item 2 above.

Let me add one more bug to the mix, the taxi and take off tutorial starts with the engine on...then automatically shuts it down and stops the propeller, while the tutorial keeps blabbering

Cold Start Tutorials are usually the prime example of things being broken, but I've seen the nighttime landing for the Su-27 and the Carrier Landing for the Su-33 have similar problems.

This, after two years of having this game, is just ridiculous. The basics really need to be fixed. It shouldn't be this hard, how many events do you have to count? Literally, simply adding press spacebar when you're done and then checking the state of the plane would be a simpler approach than an wait and receive loop, can you say "no" go back one step and to it again, at least during cold starts? 

Honestly, I would much prefer being the judge of whether a step is complete or not by having the option to override the "checking" algorithm than sit there and wait or have the darn thing go through steps without me realizing what's going on. Keep it simple please. Just in case you haven't noticed, this is extremely frustrating and makes the user take the Sim less seriously as a first time experience.

Edited by einarabelc5
Reinforce.

2 hours ago, einarabelc5 said:

The basics really need to be fixed. It shouldn't be this hard

You should really try your hand at editing a training mission 😇 … and once its done, check it still works after every DCS update, and if not then update the mission. It shouldn’t be hard 🙃

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Why would a customer that paid top dollar for a module have to work for free to fix something that the seller should've fixed. To be honest, that is kind of disrespectful to the customer. It's not the same as modding, this is actually fixing an issue you've already paid for.

If what you said is the way to fix it does that mean everything in those missions is done through an scripting editor rather than actual coding? That might explain the limitations, but it also gives much less of an excuse to the module retailer to leave said missions in such a half baked state and then charge full price. From a more general perspective what you propose though, is not a fix, is a workaround that fixes a particular issue on a particular mission on a particular plane, not the actual bug, which is a design flaw hence why my idea to override the step being stuck is at deeper level.

And to be honest, I already got enough practice just doing the instant action missions as thankfully there are not many steps following the fuel pump and there are ways to find out the rest of them by looking at the internet. Other than cold starts, there are some mission like landing the Su-27 asking for the runway to turn on their lights after the menu key stroke sequence changed but like you illustrated, the validation in the mission itself didn't change to adapt and some similar issues that happen mid flight. This is why an override button feature would be nice, it might not fix the mid flight issues when communicating with airfield and so on, but at least it would make cold starts more palatable.

Edited by einarabelc5
  • Like 2