How do I find my heading on the NPP?

Wikikomoto

Hello! It's been a few years since I've flown around in DCS, and I'm having a problem finding my heading. I can't seem to find a comprehensive guide on how the NPP works when not using it for radio navigation. I'm just looking to use it as a basic compass to get my basic heading. Which ring of numbers do I use, and how to I get a magnetic heading? 

Basic heading is just pointed by the white filled big triangle on top, (don't pay attention to the names written there, the red ones are wrongly marked BTW)

m5IUWRo.jpeg

What has changed, indeed, if you haven't used it in a long time, is how RSBN/ARK needles work and their logic which was reversed during module's first time (reversed as those red labels there). When I came back to the module myself a couple years ago I also spent a hard time trying to understand what was going on until I figured out they had reverted it all to match real behaviour which was wrongly understood by devs at first.

• Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

7 hours ago, Wikikomoto said:

Hello! It's been a few years since I've flown around in DCS, and I'm having a problem finding my heading. I can't seem to find a comprehensive guide on how the NPP works when not using it for radio navigation. I'm just looking to use it as a basic compass to get my basic heading. Which ring of numbers do I use, and how to I get a magnetic heading? 

The inner moving ring compared with the top lubber index is your true heading. For example the heading in the picture above is 175°T. The outer ring just shows other relative bearings so one can quickly find what "120 degrees bearing" is in absolute bearing, e.g. 295°T in the picture above. It's also useful when making turns based on relative pointer bearings. The "2 3 4" marks are also used in this way for the #2, #3, #4 turns in the landing pattern. There is no way to read magnetic heading from this instrument. You'll have to know and add the variation yourself.

• Thanks 1