Handgrip switching

Dragon1-1

One of the difficulties faced by pilots with a normal HOTAS is actually binding all the switches on the collective grip. Most hardware available commercially just doesn't have enough switches for the task. So here's the idea, inspired by RAZBAM's solution to a similar issue with their F-15E: add a single binding to switch between the two collective grips for the pilot, and between TEDAC and stick and collective for the CPG. This would enable double-bound functions (the same HOTAS button does two things, depending on which grip the crewmember's hand is on) that would make it far more feasible to use a regular HOTAS once FCR comes around. It would probably take some coding legwork, but it would help players who don't have a custom 3D printed setup.

Can't this be accomplished now with a single modifier assigned to a button on your cyclic? 

Bind all the functions to your HOTAS you want for one mode, then rebind all the buttons again with different functions with your modifier button pressed, and you have doubled the number of buttons on your HOTAS.  I use the red button on my Warthog cyclic as the modifier for this.

• Like 1

The problem with the modifier key is that you must hold it down, which isn't all that comfortable. Plus, it doesn't cause in-cockpit pilot's/CPG's hands to move from one grip to the other. 🙂 

An in-house solution is better than any external remapping program, the F-15E is doing it that way for a reason. It would also be somewhat realistic, in that you have to choose which controls are under your fingers at any given time.

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The problem with the modifier key is that you must hold it down, which isn't all that comfortable. Plus, it doesn't cause in-cockpit pilot's/CPG's hands to move from one grip to the other. 🙂 

An in-house solution is better than any external remapping program, the F-15E is doing it that way for a reason. It would also be somewhat realistic, in that you have to choose which controls are under your fingers at any given time.

You can set it to be one push on/off.  Instead of putting the modifier on the left hand list, put it in the right hand list (I forget what it is labelled).  I was using that at first when I started DCS and was wishing it was momentary, until I figured it out.

• Thanks 1