Optional NATO SAM Designation in F10 Map.

Cheetah7798

Nothing I can't hold my breath for, but it irks me ever so slightly that every single unit on the DCS F10 map view has its proper designation... except SAM sites. Every single Soviet/Russian SAM has its respective NATO designation. I think it would make sense to toggle between NATO and proper designations depending on whether the Editor Icon Style setting is set to "NATO" or "Russia".

Being more familiar with names like '9K330 Tor' or '2K22 Tunguska' or 'S-300' means it requires an extra mental step to translate what I'm seeing on the Map. Not that it would take particularly long to memorise, but it's just preference.

• Like 2

Just do what things like C:MO does - have both names.

i.e S-300PS [SA-10b Grumble] or S-75M 'Volkhov' [SA-2d Guideline Mod 1]

This way, regardless of whichever naming convention you're familiar with, you're catered for. The only problem with this is it makes the names longer, but in the case of SAMs, that can be more or less completed negated by doing something like this.

I certainly wouldn't say no to having it tied to the preferred icon option though.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.