Issue with R3 base

markturner1960

Hi, I wondered if anyone has an idea what might be the cause of an issue hat has cropped up with my FSSB base. Was working fine, then in flight, I lost the pitch axis. I checked in HID tool and inputs there show up fine, just in the sim, I only have yaw working. 

If I use my F18 centre stick, it works fine……..

any ideas? Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

That’s weird ! Have you tried resetting the F16 axis tune in DCS setting ? Is the pitch moving in there ?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yup, tried that ...... no workee....You can clear and set the pitch no problem in DCS options and the pitch inputs show in the window when you input them.....

I did find on a couple of occasions if I tried persistently in game to pitch up or down, I would get the occasional input accepted, but just once

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I recently added the Virpil CM2 base and the TM Hornet stick at center my R3L&Viper setup on the right for the viper and I noticed one day flying the viper I was losing the pitch signals and the only thing I came up with is the my cm2 base was to sensitive and moving as I was using the R3L. So what I did is I strengthen my deck with brackets screwed the wall and tighten up my spring tension in my cm2 base so that the Hornet stick wasn’t as sensitive with my desk moving in any way to interfere with the R3L signals. After doing this I have never lost this pitch signal. 

But yours could another issue. It just weird the the hornet grip work fine and the viper grip loses its signal.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Thanks Burt, will look at that....I have had the controls inputs window open while this is going on, to check for spurious inputs and could not see anything. I will try disconnecting the centre stick, but it has been working perfectly with both installed for a while now......

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, i had the same issue happen too (one direction just failed to respond), about 3 weeks ago.  after a restart i didnt see it happen again.  i think i did a firmware update on the base as there was a new one.  I actually run inside of a TARGET virtual combined instance too, as a detail.  I think its nothing to worry about. i fly alot and havent seen it again.  
Is it possible we accidently triggered the SMM Special Menu for the R3 base? I think i recall changing that from S3+CMSPress to the alternate option of S3+Paddle.  maybe i was hitting when going for DLC on the tomcat

Edited by Whistler_RIO

Thanks, I had a look in the HID tool ( here are my settings) and could not see anything about that anywhere? 

FSSB.jpg

Hey Mark - just out of curiosity could bump up your pitch to like 4lbs and test. I think that smm menu is holding down the trigger + paddle and letting go of the stick for a few seconds. 

Start Date April 2020 

@markturner1960, i saw your post on RealSim forums. at last you explained that you see axis-inputs working fine in Game Controllers inspector, and thats all you need to know about your hardware. This is a software issue in DCS and we can definitely help you with that here 🙂

This is going to sound silly, but have you made sure that you slide the Controls list laterally?  Do you know what i mean?  When we see the Controls in DCS, they are in a kind of scrollable spreadsheet,  with vertical seperation for each device the software detected at startup. that scrolls laterally as well as vertically (and its sometimes hard to realize that or easy to forget about.)

From your selected aircraft, filter the list to AXIS COMMANDS so that you see Pitch setting.  Now, scroll laterally and ensure that  no other device is also using that axis.  DCS allows for more than one device to have an axis, and actually in a rather dumb logic, it also wants to automatically assign pitch, yaw , and roll.   Lets see if maybe something else is overriding your axis. 

Edited by Whistler_RIO

That’s actually what my Virpil cm2 center stick/base was doing and why I had strengthen my deck with brackets screwed to wall and adjust the cm2 spring tension so it wasn’t so sensitive everytime I would pitch forward and back with the R3L the Virpil was stealing my axis. DCS axis setting was confused of which axis is being used.

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

Thanks, I have checked that and nothing else is conflicting. I have a sim racing PC, so I installed the base version of DCS world on that yesterday and plugged in the joystick and base. It worked perfectly in that installation, so its definitely some setting in DCS that has changed. I have updated and done a repair as well, so really, its a tough one......

I imagine a full re install would do the trick, but thats a world of pain........

I have heard people renamed the DCS Saved game folder and letting DCS regenerate a new one and then moved inputs from old to new save game folder. Just a thought. And yes that would a pain to reinstall DCS for sure I had to do that once…. once and had to rebind everything again, what a hassle !

Start Date April 2020 

your hardware is working perfectly, as stated earlier. there is no need to question your stick or install it on another machine.  this is a DCS mapping/detection issue.  if GameControllers panel shows everything working as expected (thats your operating system. thats running beneath all your games. trust that), then its the software. always and forever.

Just to be clear, In DCS, you have Pitch and Roll set to two appropriate axis on the stick (for the specific aircraft and its Sim or Casual variation listed in the dropdown !! lets make sure of that too!), and after you set those, you hit the AXIS TUNE button on each mapping. you see that Roll is moving and accurately shows the current deflection of the axis.  you see that Pitch is not moving at all. 

is that correct?  we dont need to go into the aircraft to test this, we can just use AXIS TUNE to confirm that a mapping works.  (and of course, laterally slide our device-list to ensure its the only mapping to that specific control, as mentioned earlier ). this must be done for each aircraft individually, and both the simple and advanced variation

Edited by Whistler_RIO