Cockpit Night Lighting

Tiger-II

Hi,

The night lighting looks stunning, but it needs balancing.

The integrated lights in the panels are OK.

The caution/warning lights do not dim enough.

The panel flood lights are too bright too soon (anything over 2/5 setting is just far too bright).

MFD day/night balance is totally out of whack. Day/night switches don't operate as expected.

Map on MFD becomes hard to balance at night and contrast/brightness steps are far too large.

HUD symbology jumps to maximum day brightness when FLIR is projected on the HUD. It should remain at the present setting.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 4 weeks later...

@Tiger-II  IMO the AV-8 mod is pitiful, between the fight with sensor slewing not working right whether using hat switch or axis, the interior night lighting being complete junk, weird tpod drift, etc. , it's painful to think that I paid full price for the mod, seeing as it's been in action since 2017 and it's still this buggy, and actually has more problems now compared too 3 years ago when I bought it!

• Like 1

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 2:48 PM, Tiger-II said:

Hi,

The panel flood lights are too bright too soon (anything over 2/5 setting is just far too bright).

MFD day/night balance is totally out of whack. Day/night switches don't operate as expected.

Map on MFD becomes hard to balance at night and contrast/brightness steps are far too large.

HUD symbology jumps to maximum day brightness when FLIR is projected on the HUD. It should remain at the present setting.

There are some things that need adjusting, like the Laser Code brightness, and some of the button lights are too bright.

The main thing in my opinion is that night mode on the AMPCDs doesn't work for MFD exports, it makes them black out on the external monitor. In day mode the brightness/contrast is way different between the external export and the internal cockpit screens. Not an issue for pure symbology, but for FLIR picture it's a killer - tuning the BRT & CON for the external monitor can make the internal cockpit way too bright and vice versa.

Regarding the terrain map on MFD, I didn't know people still use it at night. I usually turn it off even in the day, but it can be dimmed and managed with contrast - that works better if you change the text colour.

For the HUD symbology increasing when FLIR is on the HUD, that may be intentional to be visible over the FLIR backdrop.

No sure why the MFD exports are so bad, its possible it doesn't use the standard ED code because I noticed Razbam where the only module makers that required users to hit a keybind to export the MFDs (this is now automated in the special settings). There is still some contrast issues with exports for ED modules, but I notice it way worse in the Harrier usually cockpit or external has to be unreadable brightness if you want to see FLIR on the other and vice versa.

Edited by TAIPAN_

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2022 at 5:21 AM, rwbishUP said:

@Tiger-II  IMO the AV-8 mod is pitiful, between the fight with sensor slewing not working right whether using hat switch or axis, the interior night lighting being complete junk, weird tpod drift, etc. , it's painful to think that I paid full price for the mod, seeing as it's been in action since 2017 and it's still this buggy, and actually has more problems now compared too 3 years ago when I bought it!

In a year I reported more than 130 issues, bugs and feature requests, and about 2/3rd of them have been solved, so unless you got better figures than me, your claim is baseless.
But yeah it still has bugs, and we're commited to tackling them.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 6:48 AM, Tiger-II said:

Hi,

For the Master caution and warning, You can dim them with the instr/warn dimmer switch, right console, towards the back.

The Flood lights are terrible IRL, pilots rarely use them when sporting NVGs.

Day/Night may need some adjustments, but with a bit of playing with gain, contrast, and symbology switches you will end up with a satisfactory setting, just like IRL. In the real thing just setting it to Night does not always mean it's setup properly for a good clarity depending on the actual thing displayed.
If you have more precise interrogations about the settings don't hesitate to ask.

The EHSD map is indeed hard to adjust for aided flights, I'll look into what can be done.

I confirm the issue for the HUD FLIR, I'll report it.

Cheers,

A.J.