Easier ways to remember start-up procedure?

Wags94

It took me 2 days of practicing to memorize the dirty checklist. I spice it up with my own tests depending on the situation and available time.

Just do it over and over again. Eventually you'll breeze through the panels like you know every inch of it. It might be daunting at first glance but it's really very straightforward and simple.

Print a checklist and use an english cockpit. It makes things much easier and eventually you'll be starting up quick as hell. Don't feel bad about the english cockpit, if you were a real KA-50 pilot, you'd be able to read the instuments. Oh, don't try to start both engines at the sane time and don't shut down the APU until the engines are both at 70

If you want to keep it simple and just down to common sense and no checklist-

1. You need power(battery)

2. You need fuel

3. you need APU to start main engines

*Note- if your APU doesnt fire look at 1&2

4. Rotor brake OFF

5. Select and crank engine 1

*Note- if it doesnt start look at 2&3

6. Select and crank engine 2

*Note- if it fails to fire look at 2

7. After idle up completes hit PageUp twice to bring engines up to speed

8. Turn Generators ON(You need power)

9. While your engines are running up you can browse pit and enable systems.

*Note- some systems wont fire until generators are live.

yeah, I shoot from the hip now.......basically everything that takes a long time goes on first (assuming ground power) ie. INU, Abris, NAV, L140 , then all the radios and fuel, then engine start, then anything else (EEGs, autopilots, ejector, lights etc..)..

I did take off without the batteries on by accident last night, but noticed in flight.... I guess thats the main down-side in not using a checklist..easy to miss some componant..