Not holding calibration between boots

Mars Exulte

So, my Gunfighter (I believe Mk I) upon fresh boot, the axis are sporadic and trigger random button triggers until I unplug it and replug it from the base. I know firmware updates are generally discouraged unless you're having a problem, is this firmware worthy? Is there any significant difference between my older ones and the newer ones that I need to be aware of when doing an update? I'm a bit out of the loop on the hardware side. Tried to look over a few pages to see if anybody else had a similar experience.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Out of curiosity - who says firmware updates are discouraged? I mean - I do take the approach of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so don't do firmware updates just for the sake of it - but  if I was having any sort of problem I wouldn't hesitate to update. Since they have different firmware's for their different models, I wouldn't think there should be a problem updating to the correct model firmware regardless of how old your unit is - provided you choose the right file. Given that you're having issues, I'd definitely do it. (You can always roll back later if you want - provided you have saved the previous firmware files - which I always do). 

Additionally - do you know when this started? (Did you do a windows update recently, etc. Also specifying the version of Windows may be helpful as well). 

That seems like a calibration issue. It is strongly recommended to calibrate the joystick through its native software (definitely not through Windows' tools). There's a built in automatic calibration which takes a bit to hold (you have to move the joystick along the range of all its axes, trigger included), but that is lost when the computer is turned off. From what you're saying I believe that you have the MCG Pro grip; if that's the case please run VKBDevCfg, press the Default button under the Tools tab, then do a full calibration, as shown in this guide.

If you'll decide to reflash to the latest firmware here's the right guide. Flashing should be followed by pressing the Default button, then calibration.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, Dangerzone said:

Out of curiosity - who says firmware updates are discouraged? I mean - I do take the approach of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", so don't do firmware updates just for the sake of it -

That's basically VKB's recommendtion, too.

but  if I was having any sort of problem I wouldn't hesitate to update. Since they have different firmware's for their different models, I wouldn't think there should be a problem updating to the correct model firmware regardless of how old your unit is - provided you choose the right file. Given that you're having issues, I'd definitely do it. (You can always roll back later if you want - provided you have saved the previous firmware files - which I always do). 

I thought they don't keep older versions, based on some light reading I did prior to creating this thread.

Additionally - do you know when this started? (Did you do a windows update recently, etc. Also specifying the version of Windows may be helpful as well). 

It didn't do it so much early on, more an issue that appears to have gradually developed. I've had poor connections before, and always assumed it was that, until recently when I happened to be in the VKB tools and saw the triggering buttons (suddenly explaining why my Ka-50's trim button randomly wig out, which I had never before connected to the wonky axis behavior).

On 10/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, fallout9 said:

That seems like a calibration issue. It is strongly recommended to calibrate the joystick through its native software (definitely not through Windows' tools).

That I am aware of. Calibration has always been done in software, and will usually fix it, but not always. It typically requires unplugging and replugging to get it to stop entirely.

There's a built in automatic calibration which takes a bit to hold (you have to move the joystick along the range of all its axes, trigger included)

I vaguely remembered that, and had noted that working it a while would eventually get it settle down, although the ghost presses still continue sometimes.

but that is lost when the computer is turned off. From what you're saying I believe that you have the MCG Pro grip;

Yes, I believe I have the first iteration of base/stick, though I no lomger remember exactly how to tell them apart now.

If that's the case please run VKBDevCfg, press the Default button under the Tools tab, then do a full calibration, as shown in this guide.

If it's the same utility I normally use, I believe that's what I've been doing, but I will double check.

If you'll decide to reflash to the latest firmware here's the right guide. Flashing should be followed by pressing the Default button, then calibration.

All else fails I will attempt this. It is likely one of the oldest BIOS versions.

That seems like a calibration issue. It is strongly recommended to calibrate the joystick through its native software (definitely not through Windows' tools). There's a built in automatic calibration which takes a bit to hold (you have to move the joystick along the range of all its axes, trigger included), but that is lost when the computer is turned off. From what you're saying I believe that you have the MCG Pro grip; if that's the case please run VKBDevCfg, press the Default button under the Tools tab, then do a full calibration, as shown in this guide.

Nope, it is still triggering a range of ghost presses, even after reset. Plugging/unplugging does not consistently resolve the issue, either, and if it's behaving, it's apt to randomly stop taking keypresses again until plugged/replugged. I'm going to do a complete disassembly, and check the plugins.

I solved the issues finally.

Dielectric grease on all connectors, cleaned out chrome flakes on the cams, updated BIOS, updated utilities, reset admin privileges. Works 100% now like new.

• Like 1