Simultaneous cannon and machine gun firing question

default762792

Hi, checking out the Mosquito on trial, great so far, will almost certainly purchase. One (fairly idle) question though, regarding the ability to fire all 8 guns simultaneously. Obviously it can be done in-game depending on how you configure your HOTAS, but looking at the actual control column - both historical photos and the 3D model, the 2 triggers - kind of a bizarre arrangement with the right MG trigger being pressed inwards towards the center of the stick, and the left cannon trigger being pressed downwards and being close but not all that close to each other  - makes it look as if both gun types were not meant to be fired at the same time, as it would require either both hands or contorting your stick hand into a very awkward position.

I'm just wondering if the real aircraft could in fact fire both sets of guns simultaneous, or if that would be too big a drain on the pneumatic firing system or some other technical limitation, and if it in fact could, was it a practice that was discouraged by the peculiar placement of the triggers? Or perhaps just part of the overall horrendous ergonomics of the Mosquito cockpit and controls? 🙂

Not a big deal obviously, just curious if anyone has any insights or information on this. Thanks!

Edited by default762792

It was just there to give the pilot a choice of .303, cannon or both. The same firing switch was common to other British aircraft. The electro-pneumatic system was perfectly capable of releasing the sears on all 8 guns without any problems.
The ergonomics are what you'd expect from a British aircraft, just be thankful someone had the good sense not to put the triggers under the seat 😄

• Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Thanks for the reply! I like to configure my HOTAS to as closely physically match the actual aircraft as possible, but that might be challenging with the Mosquito. I wonder if the actual pilots could fire the .303s with their thumb and wrap their index finger around to fire the Hispanos simulaneously when necessary... In any case, thanks again.

Both cannon and MG's could be fired using the switch, if it looks a little awkward then that's probably mostly false perspective from the cockpit view. I could bore you to death about firing equipment fitted to WW2 British aircraft, but I won't 😄
The MkIX Spitfire had a 3 way rocker switch arrangement with the central push function being 'All' but on the generic HOTAS available to people like us, that kind of switch isn't usually situated where you'd want a trigger to be.
What I do, using a grip with a two stage trigger, is to have the first stage firing MG's and then the final stage firing all. Works for me.
There's a project called " Authentikit " who are going to be releasing - amongst other things like the throttle - the files needed to build your own Mossie yoke\stick from 3D printed parts. They'v already released a lot of other warbird controls, all free.

• Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

2 instances I can think of, where the guns need to be separated are.

1. Night fighters used cannon only.

2. Rocket attacks on ships would be preceeded by machine guns first, from about 1500' then cannons and finally rockets at 500'.

• Thanks 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..