Very disappointed in HP reverb g2.

After scouring forums, looking for a cpu upgrade to 10700k , the 5800X3d seemed like a good option. Boy was I wrong.

After whats been 1 week adventure in trying to get my headset to work, I found out that I (along with everyone else who was shipped the early revision headsets) have a defective revision 1 cable that doesnt work on x570 chipsets.  HP told me that I need to replace the cable with a revision 2 version, but its out of stock, and I am out of warranty. (I confirmed googling that this will infact fix the issue.)

Whats worse is I gave away my old gear and built a rig for someone else. No getting it back. Im now stuck with a non working reverb g2. 

I have tried different ports, hubs (external powered) dongles etc. I can get it to work sometimes, but lose sound . 

Also when I do get it to work, I gotta say 5800x3d seems overrated. But I have not done enough testing to confirm this. Not sure if performance was taking a hit because of garbage reverb g2 cable.

Never never HP again. I should have known better.

Setting everything else aside, HP does indeed suck. But they're still the best offer in that price range, tbh, you're just subject to the vagaries of chance. I am on my third cable set already. First one died six months in, second one died a few days after I got it, third one has worked perfectly ever since. Their cables are absolute garbage.

As to the 5800x3d, it does indeed perform well, provided you have an appropriate GPU. If you don't have a 3080ti or better then no, you're not going to benefit from it. See the lengthy thread about it for more details.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

18 hours ago, bloomstombs said:

After scouring forums, looking for a cpu upgrade to 10700k , the 5800X3d seemed like a good option. Boy was I wrong.

After whats been 1 week adventure in trying to get my headset to work, I found out that I (along with everyone else who was shipped the early revision headsets) have a defective revision 1 cable that doesnt work on x570 chipsets.  HP told me that I need to replace the cable with a revision 2 version, but its out of stock, and I am out of warranty. (I confirmed googling that this will infact fix the issue.)

Whats worse is I gave away my old gear and built a rig for someone else. No getting it back. Im now stuck with a non working reverb g2. 

I have tried different ports, hubs (external powered) dongles etc. I can get it to work sometimes, but lose sound . 

Also when I do get it to work, I gotta say 5800x3d seems overrated. But I have not done enough testing to confirm this. Not sure if performance was taking a hit because of garbage reverb g2 cable.

Never never HP again. I should have known better.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I purchased a G1. Was going to upgrade to a G2 but decided against buying HP again - primarily from what I was seeing with post-sales / post warranty support with the G1 from other people. I know that my headset is a ticking time bomb. Once the display cable goes - the whole thing is dead. That's put me off HP completely.

I'm not sure where I can go. Facebook is out of the question. I don't have an account and I won't buy a headset that the company can turn off remotely if I somehow infringe on their almighty opinions in a way they deem unfit or otherwise decide that I can't use my gear anymore. 

All I'm chasing for my next headset is decent build quality, and something that I can get parts and support for post-warranty and a company that will leave me alone aside from that. I'm not sure what options are out there yet for that - but it's obvious that HP isn't one of them. Which is a real pity because outside of this one thing - I've been relatively happy with my Reverb otherwise.

• Like 1

Just contact your local HP support, they will exchange cable for free.

"To dream of flying is to awaken the soul's desire to break free from gravity's hold."

13900K, ROG Z790-E GAMING WiFi, 64GB 6000MHz Dominator, TUF RTX 4090 OC, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion 2 HOTAS MAX, TPR, NLR Boeing FS Cockpit. 

VMFA-212, CJTF-13, TAW

19 hours ago, Aperture said:

Just contact your local HP support, they will exchange cable for free.

Local HP support tell me they only have a 1m replacement cable for the Reverb G2... 1m = 3.2 feet. They had not heard of the 6m V2 cable... argh. Picture using a 1m cable... it ain't pretty.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/