A10-C II basic flight training mission 8 - Practicing Emergencies - Mission is IMPOSSIBLE

Exiler652

Hi Everyone,

I would like to challenge anyone reading this post, to attempt the mission yourself and see the problem.

I have done this mission successfully in the A10-C, 2 to 3 years ago.

Now I am doing it in the A10-C 2 and this past week I have done over 100 attempts, with absolute 0 success rate.

The last test in this mission requires you to do a manual reversion flight due to left hydro failure. The second you do this, the plane immediately skyrockets, attempting a 45+ angle climb on its own. Getting the plane to get to level flight with trim is impossible. (Trim down becomes up and vice versa)

Additionally, the plane will eventually wobble left and right frantically. 

Either this mission is bugged, or someone put a cross wind in that makes this mission impossible.

Please ED, can someone fix this mission please!

I have to actually skip it now and it does not look good on my campaign roster 😞

Edited by Exiler652
added a coma between A10-C and the number 2 on line 2

Elevator trim function reverses in MRFC in the A-10C in DCS.  It's been this way for years AFAIK.  I've never found any IRL info to confirm or contradict that it should do so.

The wobbling is due to oscillation in roll control, since the ailerons become free-floating.  You're supposed to keep the aileron's centered at least 4 seconds after switching on manual reversion, but I've found it happens anyway depending on your stores setup.  I vaguely recall finding heavier inboard or outboard stores reduced this effect, but I can't remember which (practically, I've usually jettisoned all stores by that point).  Again, no idea if this is accurate to real life, but I'm guessing not entirely.

Edited by jaylw314

IRL the trim functionality does not reverse. At least the pilot gets the same effect for trimming the aircraft. I’d heard somewhere that the trim tabs move in the opposite direction they normally would but that it’s transparent to the pilot and normal control inputs get normal response. 

Talking to the pilots I know, they said that wobbling is purely DCS and doesn’t happen in real life. Aerodynamic forces push the ailerons to a neutral position and holds it there with so much force that they are immovable by normal means. The manual reversion system is actually letting you fly the trim tabs to push the aileron around. The comparison I’ve heard is that flying in manual reversion feels like trying to fly a boat because the control responses are really sluggish and delayed. Large power inputs will also cause dramatic pitch changes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Jaylw314 you are 100% correct, in DCS world trim has always been reversed and I know this, but I was talking about actually trying it for yourself :).

I believe it could be an issue with the mission itself for the A10-C 2 and not the A10-C

@ASAP that is also what I have known. Thus, why I bring it up on this forum as I believe this to be a major bug on the A10C 2, but I am hoping it is only the mission.

In Mission 8 of BFT campaign for the A10-C (or A10-C 2 if you have it), you are required to perform certain emergency recovery procedures. When the final emergency occurs, you have lost all hydraulics and are forced to land the aircraft in manual revision mode. The flight instructor on the radio says, "Normally you would not do this maneuver unless the ideal conditions are met, which are clear skies and winds of no more than 20 knots". Before the emergency, because of the previous emergency procedure, you have already lost the right hydraulic. When the final emergency occurs, you lose your left hydraulic. The second this happens; the aircraft is push to a 45+ degree climb without doing anything. Enabling Manual reversion does nothing to counter this, and because it is in manual reversion mode, any trim input you do is radical.

I have now recently come to a point where I am able to get the aircraft to fly somewhat stable, but the problem comes in when you need to land. Due to no hydraulics, the only thing that can help you slow down when you land (at this point you're at 220 knots and it's almost impossible to slow down without either stalling or flying up), you have to drop your gear using the emergency gear leaver. This forces the gears to fall out with gravity and lock in place. This will also help slow down the aircraft to lower than 150 knots so you can land safely.

When I do this, the plane immediately plumets with a 90+ degree angle, almost inverts, my vision goes red (presuming from too much G's causing blood to rush to the head) and I have to eject due to the aircraft being uncontrollable.

On that note however, the instructor clearly says, "You are authorized to eject if necessary". Though this results in the instructor stating that "you damaged the aircraft" and subsequently "you failed" 

I believe this mission to be bugged, either by the way it was made or because of the A10-C 2.

Edited by Exiler652

• 3 months later...

I'm experiencing the same thing on the A-10C (I haven't tried II yet). I've noticed the flaps come down by themselves which doesn't help. After dropping the gear I end up plummeting to the ground, sometimes with the jet on its back (ejecting towards the ground).

I created my own mission with left and right hydraulics failures, it wobbles a lot but I can land it. So it's something peculiar to the mission.