Frametime massively worse after latest update

Kevin509
Go to solution Solved by Kevin509,

I have two PC's side by side, my new computer is a 3090ti / 5800X3d and my old computer is a 2080 / 2700x. My new computer is updated to the most recent open beta, 2.8.1.34437. Since update the game is literally unplayable at low altitude around large cities or near any significant number of objects. Before the update the game was beautifully smooth. This gave me the idea to fire up my old PC which is still on 2.8.0.33006 and do a side by side comparison.

I created a basic take off from runway mission in the Marianas with no other AI or static objects, flying the Hind. As of right now my ~5 year old PC has a much more playable experience than my brand new hardware. I'm confident I don't have a system issue with my new PC. Other games run upwards of 200 FPS at max settings with no stuttering, benchmarks are all right on target, both systems are on max performance power plan. 

Screenshots showing I have the same settings on both systems (other than monitor resolution) - 

2080 system:

2080 settings.jpg

3090 system:

3090 settings.jpg

Version 2.8.1.34437 track file:

Post update performance.trk

Version 2.8.0.33006 track file:

pre update track.trk

Mission file:

Performance test.miz

Youtube video of post update: 

Youtube video of pre-update: (excuse two of the world's worst takeoffs in the Hind, had to use a crappy old HOTAS on my old PC) 

Is there a way I can go back to the last open beta version on my new system to make the game playable again (and to 100% confirm that it's a DCS issue, not my PC) ? 

On 12/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, Kevin509 said:

Update - after running repairs and trying anything else I could think of ultimately I went with a clean reinstall and my performance is back to normal. No idea what the issue was but glad it seems to be resolved. 

Clean re-install of the game, or windows?

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 11:41 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Clean re-install of the game, or windows?

Of the game, I didn't mess with anything in windows because my performance outside of DCS hadn't changed at all. After more experimentation I do think something in the latest patch has made DCS heavier or less optimized somehow because my performance isn't quite as smooth in AI heavy missions as it used to be, but I'm definitely not getting the crazy constant frametime variations I had before the reinstall. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, speed-of-heat said:

So performance isn't back to normal?

It's tough to say, I guess. Subjectively I'd say it still "feels" rougher, more jittery than prior to the latest patches. But objectively my FPS is back to normal. Fingers crossed Multithreading puts a lot of these type of threads to bed on the forum (pun intended) 

Edited by Kevin509