[DONE] supercarrier template - free positioning in ME map

wernst

The DCS own Supercarrier template is a truly helpful resource for creating a rich populated carrier environment with minimal work.
However, there is one detail that is annoying. When loading the template into the ME map, the aircraft carrier is randomly placed somewhere in the sea, several 100 miles away from the (enemy) mainland. You cannot freely position the SC in the ME map. Moving it manually is time-consuming, and the waypoints of the AI elements are then lost.

Is there a way or a trick to position the SC at a certain point in the ME map when loading the SC template?

Edited by wernst
issue solved

2 hours ago, wernst said:

The DCS own Supercarrier template

Hi,

What Template is that? ... I'm not aware of any provided along with DCS, so I had to edit my own templates:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312410/

.. and I can move the carrier group after initial placement on the map with no issues, but my AI units have only a single pre-defined waypoint.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

51 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

What Template is that? ... I'm not aware of any provided along with DCS . . . 

Don't you know this?: C-SUPERCARRIER-HORNET-16-POPULATION TEMPLATE.miz

Provided as standard by DCS here: . . Eagle Dynamics/DCS xxx/mods/tech/supercarrier/missions/single 

Nice template, nicely poulated but not freely movable in the ME map. 

1 hour ago, wernst said:

Don't you know this?: C-SUPERCARRIER-HORNET-16-POPULATION TEMPLATE.miz

No, I didn't knew it 🙂 ... to me it is more of a mission than a true template, but of course you can use that mission and save it with another name to use like if it were a template.

1 hour ago, wernst said:

Provided as standard by DCS here: . . Eagle Dynamics/DCS xxx/mods/tech/supercarrier/missions/single 

OK, found it and took a look 👍

1 hour ago, wernst said:

Nice template, nicely poulated but not freely movable in the ME map. 

Actually, you can move both fleets, selecting the lead ship (the one with a small "1" in white besides its icon) and once selected (the ship turns yellow when selected) drag it where you want. As the carrier has units superimposed on it, you need to click on it several times, it will go selecteing unit by unit until you get to the carrier itself.

This would be easier if the designer of the mission had hidden the static objects that are on the carrier deck. Also, ED could have saved this as a Static Template rather than as a Mission ... that way you could add the fleets easily onto any existing Caucasus mission.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

5 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Actually, you can move both fleets, selecting the lead ship . . . drag it where you want. 

I know how to move a ME item on the map. But moving/dragging the ship on the map when it has been placed some 200 miles away from mainland is almost impossible. In order to select the ship icon you have to max. enlarge the scale of the map and consequently your single step of movement is extremly small.  

2 hours ago, wernst said:

In order to select the ship icon you have to max. enlarge the scale of the map and consequently your single step of movement is extremly small.  

You can zoom in/out using the mousewheel while still having the left mouse button pressed over the unit, to move the Group while zooming at the same time, like this:

9 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

You can zoom in/out using the mousewheel while still having the left mouse button pressed over the unit, to move the Group while zooming at the same time.

Great! Thanks. That's it. Your trick works. Although it's not even a trick, it's taking advantage of the controls available. It's so easy, obviously too easy for me.

I checked out your static template, looks truly nice. However, I'm not at all fit in ME editing (as already shown) and campaign building. And I assume the static template has
no animated items.

Anyway, I'm happy with the DCS "template.miz". Spectacular scenery can be seen especially during night operations when Hornets takeoff with their red glowing afterburner.

• Like 1

• wernst changed the title to [DONE] supercarrier template - free positioning in ME map