[Need Help] Shore Based IFLOLS Overlay

MorrisMessing

Hi, 

my name is Morris and I am CAG of vitural Carrier Air Wing 22.

Part of our flight training is Field Carrier Landing Practice on Rota Island to get our pilots used to carrier procedures as it is done in real life.

Since there is no Shore Based IFLOLS system in DCS (at least not anymore) I figured, I'll code a mod to trigger a IFLOLS overlay similar to the one coming with supercarrier, so that the pilots can learn to fly the ball, without the need to fly to the ship.

I got a solid understanding of most programming terms from years of python coding, but most of my programs were only single scripts. So I need a little help with using functions from one file inside another and stuff like this. Furthermore I do not really get how the structure of DCS Mods works and what triggers what or what depends on what.

First of all:

What is the minimum I need to do to show my overlay inside the game after loading into an aircraft?

The overlay I am using is a copy of the FLOLS from supercarrier. So I assume the DLG file works.

The next thing:

How do I read the aircrafts coordinates from DCS?

To calculate the position of the Ball, I need to know the aircrafts coordinates and altitude

I know I need to write a hook, so that I can get data from DCS. But how do I do this?

This is my first try to mod DCS, so any help is appreciated. I hope you guys understand what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance,

Morris "Cuzy" Messing