XrResult failure [SOLVED]

II.JG1_Vonrd

Went to play in VR today and my openXR says “XrResult failure (XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE) Origin: xrcreateinstance(&createinfo, instance.put)

I’ve tried rebooting and uninstalling openxr. Never had this issue before, any ideas?

On Reddit, someone said: "Have you just installed the NIS (Nvidea Image Scaling) mod? I have the same issue straight after installing NIS, and when I uninstalled NIS, all good again."

I don't have NIS activated in either NVidia Control Panel or NVidia GeForce Experience.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? 

Capture.PNG

• II.JG1_Vonrd changed the title to XrResult failure [SOLVED]
On 1/2/2023 at 6:21 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Found it.

Open Kneeboard was causing the issue. Deleting it and also removing a file it left in the Registry did it.

hey, i have the same issue - mind sharing which registry file did you remove?

Scroll down to my post openxr tools for windows I had the same problem. You have to delete a registry entry and that fixed it

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

This is an ignorable bug in OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - it does not affect games or anything else.

OpenXR Explorer is an alternative tool without this bug.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 1:22 PM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

It was an Openkneeboard json file in the Registry located here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\ApiLayers\Implicit

I found that registry entry and deleted it. Fixed my MT VR issue. Thanks for posting

• Like 1

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

Winwing Orion2 base with f-16EX grip, Winwing Orion2 Throttle with F-18 Grip

Currently member of VAF 136 (F/A-18C Squadron).

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

First rule of thumb when troubleshooting issues  - Remove or disable all Mods.

😉

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

8 hours ago, dburne said:

First rule of thumb when troubleshooting issues  - Remove or disable all Mods.

😉

The crap thing is that Openkneeboard was removed for troubleshooting. But they didnt remove their registry entry. Crap uninstallers that leave things behind.

Gigabyte 6800XT Master 16GB, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB Ram, Meta Quest 2 VR installed on Netac 2TB M.2 drive

DCS Modules F/A-18C, A-10II-C, F-15E, F-16, AH-64D, KA50-III, F-5, P-51D and FC3 aircraft.

Terrain Modules: Persian Gulf, Caucus, Nevada Test Training Range (NTTR), Syria, South Atlantic, Sinai and Normandy 2.0.

All versions of OpenKneeboard this year delete that entry; versions from 2022 do not as Microsoft ban “windows apps” (.msix or .appx installers, or Microsoft store) from providing any kind of uninstaller. That said, there are no known or reproducible issues with leaving that registry key around, but as you’ve only posted them repeatedly on the forum here rather than reporting as a bug with OpenKneeboard before deleting it, there’s nothing I can do based on what you’re saying for other users who may have also recently uninstalled a 2022 version.

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

1 hour ago, inZane said:

The crap thing is that Openkneeboard was removed for troubleshooting. But they didnt remove their registry entry. Crap uninstallers that leave things behind.

It is possible that you had a partially uninstalled version from 2022, *and* a 2023 version which could explain a crash; installing the 2023 versions uninstalls the 2022 versions, but if you then later install an older 2022 version by hand, thanks to Microsoft’s restrictions, that’s now a second independent installation that doesn’t replace the 2023 one. Uninstalling the 2023 version then will not clean up the 2022 one 

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

On 9/5/2023 at 1:37 PM, actually_fred said:

It is possible that you had a partially uninstalled version from 2022, *and* a 2023 version which could explain a crash; installing the 2023 versions uninstalls the 2022 versions, but if you then later install an older 2022 version by hand, thanks to Microsoft’s restrictions, that’s now a second independent installation that doesn’t replace the 2023 one. Uninstalling the 2023 version then will not clean up the 2022 one 

I understand. Was not the uninstaller but MS doing it's great job once again. Sorry to point a finger in the direction of your project. When I did use it last, I was a great addition to my VR experience. I may try it again once I get all the VR settings dialed in again.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to jump in to say that this thread right here fixed my issue with VR MT and DCS.

I have been pulling my hair out to try to figure out why I couldn't launch DCS in VR MT at all, steam or standalone. I had tried every variation of --force this and --force that. It would launch VR in ST no problem, and MT would launch in pancake just the same. But when trying VR MT, nothing would get it to launch. It'd be some non-interactable one eye VR DCS window. 

Finally gave the log a look and saw an error that I copy/pasted into google which lead me here. I don't use openkneeboard or necksaver, but I followed the advice to that Instance folder in the OpenXR registry area and deleted the few I found. Repairing the installs for those readded them later with no issue.

Immediately DCS launched MT in VR! I'm ecstatic. I really thought I had been using the MT for the longest time already and only found out I wasn't when Pimax updated the Crystal with eye tracking and DFR along with mbucchia's quadviews. Now that it's all working, HOLY COW it's amazing and I'm SO glad to have found this thread. What a night and day difference and the Crystal is singing with DFR.

Hopefully more people see this and it works for them!

The current version of the Ultraleap Gemini driver (5.13) also seems to install an OpenXR layer that doesn't play nicely with DCS; the 5.6 version from https://developer.leapmotion.com/releases appears to work fine (for people with a leap motion/ultraleap/non-Oculus headset with hand tracking)

• Thanks 1

My projects:

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 1:17 AM, actually_fred said:

The current version of the Ultraleap Gemini driver (5.13) also seems to install an OpenXR layer that doesn't play nicely with DCS; the 5.6 version from https://developer.leapmotion.com/releases appears to work fine (for people with a leap motion/ultraleap/non-Oculus headset with hand tracking)

Link is dead, do you know if i can find it anywhere else? did the mistake to uninstall my working version and update to the latest one and then i got the OpenXR issue described above

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, Gregkar said:

Link is dead, do you know if i can find it anywhere else? did the mistake to uninstall my working version and update to the latest one and then i got the OpenXR issue described above

They seem to be moving stuff around a lot; googling for "leap motion download old versions of gemini" gets you a few links to pages with it.

My projects: