Regarding deep stalls/MPO

Guard72nd
Go to solution Solved by Frederf,

Regards folks. 

I am having a hard time to get the F-16 to depart in to the typical nose-wagging deep stall that requires use of MPO to break the cycle. Tried different profiles of high altitude/low speed with different controls input, and I am getting buffeting and sort of a departure that usually involves a rollover on to inverted, nose lowers and then the airplane self-recovers when airspeed reaches about 150kt CAS. Have any of you guys been able to depart into a confirmed pitch-oscillating deep stall, and if so, can you please give me some advice on how to do it? 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I was able to replicate something that seems more like a proper deep stall by employing MPO while in high alpha condition, and it gave me maybe two cycles of pitch oscillating stall, but still self-recovered at 160cas the moment the nose dropped the second cycle. 

Tried checking AOA and found that without MPO input she starts buffeting a bit at 26-27 AOA and then departs at around 28, but still self-recovers really easily. 

Edited by Guard72nd

• Solution

Best way to depart naturally is:

• Aft CG (centerline, a certain fuel state)
  • Lateral asymmetry like 2-3 AIM-120 on one side
  • Assault two or more FLCS limiters simultaneously

There is a really good Code One magazine article from 1993 written by Joe Dryden on the subject. Most departures self-recover due to how the FLCS works and the stability margins. To get into a deep stall it's needed that the AOA is in a certain range and the pitch rate is very low. Just a departure is not enough. The regions where stab "pitch up" generates a pitch down moment and the opposite are very small at about +-55AOA and only +-5 degrees wide.

FLCS normally does a good job of preventing departures. With high pitch rates it's possible to blow through normal limits into departure territory. It's practically impossible to do this only in pitch (except deliberately with MPO).

• Like 1