[2.8.2.35759 Open Beta] Strange GPU usage in VR since update

Tepnox

Hello guys,

can somebody check if you also got some serious gpu-load issues since OpenBeta 2.8.2.35632?

I play normally uncapped in VR (no ASW, no fixed FPS) with my Quest Pro. Therefore my GPU load is always around 99% because I technically can not reach 90 fps. I did not experience any CPU-bottleneck the last days, even with heavy online multiplayer on 4YA Syria server.

Since update 2.8.2.35632 my gpu-load is all over the place, very often only around 70-80 % gpu load on empty map in Syria. Also the FPS gets magically capped at 45 fps and then spikes to 60 fps but GPU-load never reaches 99% as before.

This is very obvious in regions with some buildings around. I regularly stress test my setup around Beirut and GPU load has always been 99% for me here (which is fine).

I triple checked my setup, did run complete slow repair with DCS (vanilla, no mods) and re-installed my graphics card driver (NVIDIA 528.24 Win11 64bit) with DDU. Did not change anything.

I checked my ASW settings, ASW is off (forced ASW 45 fps, 30 fps is working when enabled).

Again: I was running this setup and exactly same drivers yesterday and GPU load worked just fine. Since 2.8.2.35632 something has changed in the DCS engine it seems.

Anybody else?

EDIT:

I can reproduce the issue (I manually switched between both updates):

GPU load with DCS 2.8.1.34667.2 Open Beta looks like this (99% GPU-load and 38 FPS):

image.jpeg

image.png

GPU load with DCS 2.8.2.35632 Open Beta looks like this (92% GPU-load and 36 FPS):

image.jpeg

image.png

It gets worse when flying in active mission. The GPU load drops to 70-80 %. I don't know if this is an engine issue with 2.8.2.35632 Open Beta or Oculus SDK issue but this clearly costs valuable FPS and you can feel it while flying. When 5 fps are missing (just because the gpu load drops) you can feel this clearly in VR when the stuttering gets more and more noticeable.

When you compare the ingame FPS graph you can clearly see, the green line gets more spikes in 2.8.2.35632 whereas in 2.8.1.34667.2 it is nearly flat. I think this is the simulation graph, so maybe the issue is here?

I am on standalone DCS and OpenXR is my default API inside the Oculus Software using the Link Cable. I am not using Steam VR.

My mission is empty and with default settings for Syria, I am parked with running engines in front of Beirut. I also checked F/A-18 and F16, similar GPU-load behavior with those modules.

Edited by Tepnox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

• Tepnox changed the title to [2.8.2.35632 Open Beta] Strange GPU usage in VR since update

Yep, similar experience here.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Same for me without VR.

Edited by truebrit

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Same here
5800X3D
32GB
SATA SSD

Mostly heavy stutter when moving the camera (not a TrackIR issue) with frame time spikes and way less stable FPS, since 2.8 FPS has gone worse and Worse ! I lost 20-30fps since 2.7 ! While lowering settings at each update !

Edited by Loukuins

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

Issue with GPU not maxing out is still the same, even after updating to today's 2.8.2.35759 Open Beta.

image.png

I tested with OpenXR command line and with default Oculus API, the strange GPU behaviour not maxing out is still the same.

Edited by Tepnox
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

• Tepnox changed the title to [2.8.2.35759 Open Beta] Strange GPU usage in VR since update
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same here. I suspect still the shadows. Try it when shadows off. That green line added which counts as simulation cpu load becomes low flatline when shadows turned off. 

Object shadows are still broken. They have just turned off the smoothing of shadows which reduced the impact but everyone gets it. In cities there are a lot of shadow casters which are suffocating the cpu. Even when your flat shadows are off in normal shadows distant shadows are always flat that's the impact of that I believe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Performance is very very bad after the last update. 

No shadows, water to low, textures to medium, vis range medium, ASW dis- engaged, no MSAA or filters  - nothing helps. Something is really of in the engine of DCS after the last update. I prey for the next onces cause DCS is comming more and more un-playable. Thats a shame because DCS is the only reason why I have a computer and VR! 

Cheers

TOM

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:45 PM, TOMCATZ said:

Same here. Performance is very very bad after the last update. 

No shadows, water to low, textures to medium, vis range medium, ASW dis- engaged, no MSAA or filters  - nothing helps. Something is really of in the engine of DCS after the last update. I prey for the next onces cause DCS is comming more and more un-playable. Thats a shame because DCS is the only reason why I have a computer and VR! 

Cheers

TOM

I am in the same boat. And I have to say that twice my friend

Thats a shame because DCS is the only reason why I have a computer and VR! 
Thats a shame because DCS is the only reason why I have a computer and VR!