XR neck safer in MT build.

Dog 1-1

But, it won’t be long before the ST version is removed. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

15 hours ago, Istari6 said:

Thanks for the response.  Can you help me understand exactly what you're doing with "recenter"?  

I just tried firing up SteamVR, doing the "Standing Position Setup" (where you center the HMD, then set it on the floor and calibrate).  Then I fired up XRNS.  Then DCS MT.  

I still get exactly the same problem.  Past 90 degrees rotation, the view is flipped vertically and bordered with black rectangles that make it unusable.  

Are you doing things in a different order?

i don't do room setup. just right click steam vr in tray>> click recenter. I use HP G2. With Pimax Crystal had to do same thing+ room setup.

others with Aero do the same https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer/-/issues/7#note_1327625967

PS: do the recenter in the position you play, and don't move after to another position.

Edited by muzica9

All - as a follow-up, I was able to get XRNeckSafer working!  The problem was the Varjo Foveated Rendering API layer.  Once I uninstalled that, and had only XRNeckSafer running (confirmed by clicking on Show Active API Layers in XRNeckSafer), it's working properly.  

Thanks to all who replied on this thread trying to find a solution.  Hope this helps others.  

I wish it did help me, but it doesn’t. Glad you’ve got it working though!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 months later...

I just joined the "doesn't work" club. Tried it in MT and the std exe, tried setting it to run as Admin, tried starting DCS 1st them XRNecksafer, no autorotation at all. Go outside the game, with it running, inputs show as normal in XRNS. The only OpenXR API layer is " XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer". Went back into IL-2, works flawlessly..

Edit: I also tried installing the Quad_views FR, no good, then tried changing the order the APIs loaded using the API-Layers-GUI, that blew both of them up causing an uninstall of Quad-views and an Uninstall/Reinstall of XRNS. Also tried using Snap insted of Autorotation, NG... 

Edited by GPatricks

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 8/14/2023 at 12:04 AM, Istari6 said:

All - as a follow-up, I was able to get XRNeckSafer working!  The problem was the Varjo Foveated Rendering API layer.  Once I uninstalled that, and had only XRNeckSafer running (confirmed by clicking on Show Active API Layers in XRNeckSafer), it's working properly.  

Thanks to all who replied on this thread trying to find a solution.  Hope this helps others.  

As far as XRNS's "Show Active API Layers", all I have showing is XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer... but I am sure I have the Varjo FR API installed..

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Well, a light went off in my head (dim, but there) and I was thinking that since Steam VR is active (for the lighthouses), wonder what would happen if I ran VRNS instead of XRNS. Guess what, VRNS works in the MT.exe.. I don't like the way VRNS auto-rotates (chunky, not smooth like XRNS) but that may just be a setting adjustment, and of course no Pitch settings. The L/R Snap option works perfectly. So the new question is, why is XRNS not working in an OpenXR environment and VRNS is? I tried disabling OpenVR support in Varjo base to see if that was causing some sort of a conflict, no effect. The quest continues, but maybe this revelation will help someone figure this out.

Edit: I should add Steam and SteamVR are not normally running, just whatever Varjo Base runs for the Lighthouses. As soon as I start VRNS STeamVR starts up, so I assume thats why it is functioning in game.

Edited by GPatricks

With the patient help of DerKlausi on the Varjo Discord I finally have XRNS working perfectly on my Varjo Aero in DCS MT.exe with XRNS and Varjo Foveated Rendering (pretty sure it will work with other APIs also). The final key (after an XRNS 5a  remove/reinstall) was the order of the API layers, as the Varjo Foveated API finally showed up in XRNS's "OpenXR\Show API Layers" list after a fresh XRNS5a download and re-install. First try in the cockpit, with Varjo API showing on top line of the XRNS Show API list, I got black blocks and strange movement in the cockpit whenever Auto-rotation kicked in (but it was actually finally doing something!). As soon as I (using the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM.exe" app) moved the XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer.json Layer to be above the XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_varjo_foveated. json Layer, all was well in DCS.. 

So for me the key was to uninstall XRNS 5a, reinstall a freshly downloaded version of XRNeckSaferBeta5a from GitHub (https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer), run XNRS and check the "OpenXR\Show active OpenXR API Layers" list in XNRS,. If XRNeckSafer is not on top of the list (which mine wasn't), use the API Layers GUI program ( https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI ) to change the order (I used the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM" exe). Select the XRNeckSafer API, click Move up (to the top even if you have more than 2 API's showing), done! Never occurred to me not showing the Varjo Foveated API in XNRS could actually be an XRNS issue (to cause me to reinstall) as it worked fine in IL-2 (because Foveated rendering is disabled in IL-2)... and forget about the API Layer order, never would have gotten that without help.

Edited by GPatricks
  • Thanks 4

On 11/29/2023 at 5:11 PM, GPatricks said:

With the patient help of DerKlausi on the Varjo Discord I finally have XRNS working perfectly. The final key (after an XRNS 5a  remove/reinstall) was the order of the API layers, as the Varjo Foveated API finally showed up in XRNS's "OpenXR\Show API Layers" list after a fresh XRNS5a download and re-install. First try in the cockpit, with Varjo API showing on top line of the XRNS Show API list, I got black blocks and strange movement in the cockpit whenever Auto-rotation kicked in (but it was actually finally doing something!). As soon as I (using the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM.exe" app) moved the XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer.json Layer to be above the XR_APILAYER_MBUCCHIA_varjo_foveated. json Layer, all was well in DCS.. 

So for me the key was to uninstall XRNS 5a, reinstall a freshly downloaded version of XRNeckSaferBeta5a from GitHub (https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer), run XNRS and check the "OpenXR\Show active OpenXR API Layers" list in XNRS,. If XRNeckSafer is not on top of the list (which mine wasn't), use the API Layers GUI program ( https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI ) to change the order (I used the "OpenXR-API-Layers-Win64-HKLM" exe). Select the XRNeckSafer API, click Move up (to the top), done! Never occurred to me not showing the Varjo Foveated API in XNRS could actually be an XRNS issue (to cause me to reinstall) as it worked fine in IL-2... and forget about the API Layer order, never would have gotten that without help.

I tried your suggestion and it appears to work. I used to get a lateral displacement most of the time when I used autorotation., When I place xrnecksafer at the top of the xr layers it seems to work. I need to do some more testing but fingers crossed. One thing I also noticed was that moving xrnecksafer to the top made the image look “punchier”. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that order of the layers somehow affects the contrast and sharpening of other layers, such as opener toolkit. Has anyone else had this experience? I might try playing around with changing the order of the xr layers see if they make any difference. 

Update: this does not always work. It's better than it was but not consistent. 

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

15 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I tried your suggestion and it appears to work. I used to get a lateral displacement most of the time when I used autorotation., When I place xrnecksafer at the top of the xr layers it seems to work. I need to do some more testing but fingers crossed. One thing I also noticed was that moving xrnecksafer to the top made the image look “punchier”. The only thing I can think of to explain this is that order of the layers somehow affects the contrast and sharpening of other layers, such as opener toolkit. Has anyone else had this experience? I might try playing around with changing the order of the xr layers see if they make any difference. 

I think as long as XRNS API is at the top of the API list it will work correctly. From @MastahFR on the Varjo\dcs-world Discord - "You should always have the layer doing spatial / positioning correction [XRNS] run first, then display/render transformation (VFR, QVFR), then render correction (color, brightness, like OXRTK) and then render capture (OBS, ...)". Me. I just run XRNS and Varjo Foveated, so it's simple.. 

Edited by GPatricks
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got good profile working . Maybe post a pic of the seettings .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

14 hours ago, KoN said:

Has anyone got good profile working . Maybe post a pic of the seettings .

This is what I use, but I come from TIR5 so it may or may not be suitable for you.. just play with the settings.

XRNS Yaw and Pitch.jpg