Ingame Screenshot quality not good/AA not working?

Hello fellow sim-pilots,

i hope some of you know this problem & maybe have a solution for me:

I have been taking some screenshots of my favourite aircrafts with the intention of using it as wallpaper for my PC. Now ingame everything looks sharp and the edges are well rounded thanks to 16x FXAA and 4x MSAA - so i take a couple of pictures (i changed the quality to 100 in a .cfg and used the png format for minimal compression loss).

Low and behold, as soon as i use the picture i made as my wallpaper on windows, i start seing blurred pixel around the edges of the aircraft that aren't visible ingame, i can clearly see the difference when tabing back into the game and the angle is still the same.

I also tried screenshooting with my AMD Software but that is even worse. I will attach some pictures so you can clearly see the blurred/pixelated stuff i mean (especially on the edges of the airframe against the sky). I have seen countless better screenshots to which i assume they have been post-producted but how i don't really think you can crank out that much anti-aliasing in post?

For reference:

Settings all ultra
RX 6800

Any help appreciated

Screen_230304_195332.png

Screen_230303_190344.jpg

the screenshots do have some jagged edges but nearly imperceptible. i attached mine to see if there is a difference. there might be something in driver settings. i believe this is AA settings but you have that covered.

null

image.png

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

It has to do with FXAA being a post-process.

Google: FXAA screenshot

• Like 2

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MikeDeltaWhiskey said:

Sorry for the late reply, is there a way to screenshot WITH FXAA? Do i need certain software or do you perhaps have another solution for this?

cheers

hello FXAA is a driver side setting. mine is set to off in global settings and DCS program settings. i do use MSAA 2x in DCS. SSAA and SSAO off, and SSLR on.

i am quoting a post about this from another forum. not DCS specific.

FXAA is designed to be a AA without a performance hit, or add AA to games without native AA. You should not use it adjunct with MSAA, you should use it in games that do not have native AA such as borderlands, darksiders, etc. It does blur edges.

Again, MSAA is better than FXAA so if the game supports MSAA there is absolutely no need for FXAA.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/is-it-me-or-does-the-fxaa-in-nvidia-control-panel-not-do-anything.1282766/

with this said, i take screen shots with GeForce Experience. normal windows print screen does not screen capture the FXAA.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain