Ground units shut down before moving

DaveSD

Howdy everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem I've never seen before. It's probably not a bug, just something with a solution I haven't considered. I've got some ground units set up. Currently none are set player driving, none are late activation, and none are cold at start. These vehicles shut off their engines within a few seconds of the mission start.

This mission was saved from an earlier mission in which these ground vehicles were set for cold at start and late activation, but I verified none of that is the case now. Originally, the waypoint 0 (off the road) speed was zero, and the first waypoint (on the road) with a speed of 11 knots. I did a couple of things to see if I could resolve the problem. I made the waypoint 0 starting speed 11 knots (didn't work), and I inserted an off-road waypoint between the starting point and the on-road waypoint for each of the vehicles (also didn't work).

Any ideas? Could my little AI guys have gone AWOL? Deserted? (These are blue force vehicles, by the way.)

13 hours ago, DaveSD said:

Howdy everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem I've never seen before. It's probably not a bug, just something with a solution I haven't considered. I've got some ground units set up. Currently none are set player driving, none are late activation, and none are cold at start. These vehicles shut off their engines within a few seconds of the mission start.

This mission was saved from an earlier mission in which these ground vehicles were set for cold at start and late activation, but I verified none of that is the case now. Originally, the waypoint 0 (off the road) speed was zero, and the first waypoint (on the road) with a speed of 11 knots. I did a couple of things to see if I could resolve the problem. I made the waypoint 0 starting speed 11 knots (didn't work), and I inserted an off-road waypoint between the starting point and the on-road waypoint for each of the vehicles (also didn't work).

Any ideas? Could my little AI guys have gone AWOL? Deserted? (These are blue force vehicles, by the way.)

i am barely an ME novice so probably not a lot of help. but it is best to post up the mission. i think any of the experts will want to see so they can help.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Hi @silverdevil,

I hadn't thought about doing that. Sometimes I'm a bit slow...

The attached mission file is a cleaned-up version of the original mission - no sense in bogging a computer down with things that aren't relevant. The vehicles in question from the original mission are here, along with one that I added after the original mission was saved. Those first vehicles are still exhibiting the same behavior - they run for a few seconds, then shut down without having moved an inch. I did take one of those original vehicles and placed it on a road for waypoint 0 - still no change. However, the new vehicle I added behaves normally. I have a feeling that the "cold start" status is remaining (in a mutated form, since they're actually starting out running), even though "cold start" is unchecked.

I can always just replace the odd vehicles with fresh ones, of course.

I'm baffled, but I'm easily baffled.

Dave

Update: I created a fresh mission with each vehicle having a different option:

On-road, cold start, 0 knots at waypoint 0

On-road, cold start, 11 knots at waypoint 0

On-road, hot start, 0 knots at waypoint 0

On-road, hot start, 11 knots at waypoint 0

Off-road, cold start, 0 knots at waypoint 0

Off-road, cold start, 11 knots at waypoint 0

Off-road, hot start, 0 knots at waypoint 0

Off-road, hot start, 11 knots at waypoint 0

I also used these same combinations with vehicles starting on a road and going off-road, starting off-road and going on-road, etc. Everything behaved as expected, so I'm guessing it's just a little glitch in the mission file.

Update to my update: I added an enemy tank and set it to attack the lazy blue units. That made them very, very angry, and even though they weren't moving (the engines weren't even running), they wasted no time in destroying the tank.

test.miz

Edited by DaveSD

50 minutes ago, DaveSD said:

Hi @silverdevil,

I hadn't thought about doing that. Sometimes I'm a bit slow...

The attached mission file is a cleaned-up version of the original mission - no sense in bogging a computer down with things that aren't relevant. The vehicles in question from the original mission are here, along with one that I added after the original mission was saved. Those first vehicles are still exhibiting the same behavior - they run for a few seconds, then shut down without having moved an inch. I did take one of those original vehicles and placed it on a road for waypoint 0 - still no change. However, the new vehicle I added behaves normally. I have a feeling that the "cold start" status is remaining (in a mutated form, since they're actually starting out running), even though "cold start" is unchecked.

I can always just replace the odd vehicles with fresh ones, of course.

I'm baffled, but I'm easily baffled.

Dave

hello again. i am a n00b in ME but learning. i see only one thing. the most southern unit has Advanced Waypoint Action. the rest do not. 

null

image.png

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

@silverdevil Good observation! That was one of the new units I added as a test, but I went in and added a "perform task" "go to waypoint" action, but that didn't do anything. I then tried the same thing under "perform command" and that didn't work, either. I'll probably just replace those bad boy vehicles with fresh ones. It won't be a huge deal since there are only two or three waypoints for each before they reach their destination.

2 minutes ago, DaveSD said:

@silverdevil Good observation! That was one of the new units I added as a test, but I went in and added a "perform task" "go to waypoint" action, but that didn't do anything. I then tried the same thing under "perform command" and that didn't work, either. I'll probably just replace those bad boy vehicles with fresh ones. It won't be a huge deal since there are only two or three waypoints for each before they reach their destination.

i do know from reading other posts, some missions get whacky in a new version of DCS. its possible this is the problem. good luck. 

• Like 1