Mossi likes handstands

wernst
Go to solution Solved by Holbeach,

I love the Mossi. Flying it is a real challenge, it seems to be as realistic as possible.

But one coded peculiarity really bothers me. It's the tendency to headstand while taxiing or after landing when applying brakes not very carefully. I have owned and flown a light taildragger myself, a PA-16 "Clipper". This bird (max takeoff weight 748 kg) could accept any abrupt braking while taxiing at almost any speed without going into a headstand. I can't understand that Mossi, which is almost 10 times heavier, ever does a headstand when applying brakes at moderate ground roll speed.

You can experience how difficult it is to lift the tail during take-off. During start roll it takes quite some time until enough lift has been generated and the „butt“ slowly rises at about 100 mp/h. So I can't imagine that at the roll speed of a cyclist the Mossi is already doing a headstand when applying moderate braking. But it does as the video shows.

Edited by wernst

@wernst

This was pointed out to DCS a long time ago, without result.

Mosquito is not known to nose over.

Easy way is to do something yourself.

DCS brakes.png

Problem solved.

No more nose dive.

Edited by Holbeach
  • Like 2

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

32 minutes ago, Holbeach said:

Problem solved.

No more nose dive.

This assumes you have an axis to assign the brakes to. Some of us are forced to use a button.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

1 hour ago, Holbeach said:

@wernst

This was pointed out to DCS a long time ago, without result.

Mosquito is not known to nose over.

Easy way is to do something yourself.

DCS brakes.png

Problem solved..

unfortunately "not solved". I do not have a free analog axis on my throttle unit. My only free analog axis has been assigned to prop pitch setting, which is essential to keep the engine alive. Fast overheating Mossi's engine is another issue. "This was pointed out to DCS a long time ago"

15 hours ago, wernst said:

unfortunately "not solved". I do not have a free analog axis on my throttle unit. My only free analog axis has been assigned to prop pitch setting, which is essential to keep the engine alive. Fast overheating Mossi's engine is another issue. "This was pointed out to DCS a long time ago"

Go to;  mods/aircraft/Mosquito/FM/FM options/Mainwheel brake moment max.

Reduce this from 18000, to, 9000. Save.

Assign Wheelbrake to a button.

Problem solved. No more nose over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• Solution
19 hours ago, Bozon said:

This assumes you have an axis to assign the brakes to. Some of us are forced to use a button.

So alter the button as described.

4 hours ago, Holbeach said:

Go to;  mods/aircraft/Mosquito/FM/FM options/Mainwheel brake moment max.

Reduce this from 18000, to, 9000. Save.

Assign Wheelbrake to a button.

Problem solved. No more nose over.

That's it. The clever thing about this solution is that I could assigned the same lever as handbrake lever on my TM warthog joystick as it is on the real/simulated Mossi. 

Problem truly solved, the solution is frustratingly simple. Thanks. 

Edited by wernst

On 4/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, 4eyes said:

Thanks!   I have been trying it. Works great!        However, new updates or Beta Repair will change it back!

Yes you have to update it yourself, so hopefully DCS will do the right thing and change it after having broken it with an update in the first place.

Edited by Holbeach