Can you explain Autopilot HDG function to me?

Snappy

Hi,

the exact use of the autopilot HDG mode  is unclear to me. Can someone kindly explain it in a bit more detail.

From the manual:

"The HDG position on the HDG switch enables heading hold, maneuver the aircraft to desired heading and with a bank angle of less than 5° to set heading."

Heading hold function I get, but the "maneuver the aircraft to desired heading..." part doesn't seem to work for me or I don't understand it correctly. I engaged the Autopilot, switched the HDG switch to HDG , selected a desired HDG on the HSI. 

The aircraft doesn't turn to that HDG. Next I iniated a manual turn with lateral stick input, anticipating that the HDG mode would maybe do a automatic roll-out on the desired HDG. That didn't work either. 
So how exactly is the correct procedure for using the -maneuver to HDG-  subfunction of the HDG mode?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards,
Snappy

Edited by Snappy

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

maneuver the aircraft to desired heading...

It means you maneuver the aircraft to desired heading and then AP will hold onto that 🙂

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

It means you maneuver the aircraft to desired heading and then AP will hold onto that 🙂

Hmm ok thanks , doesn't seem to make too much sense to me then. In that case, just name the autopilot HDG function only "heading hold" and thats it, if really can't do anything else. Its not doing any maneuvering to HDG at all then.

Edited by Snappy

4 minutes ago, Snappy said:

In that case, just name the autopilot HDG function heading hold and thats it, if really can't do anything else.

"Autopilot modes available are attitude hold, heading hold, ground track, altitude hold, vector/pcd (precision course direction) and acl (automatic carrier landing)."

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria