F-16 TMS reject separated from vertical scan mode

Glide

Currently, if you wish to reject a locked target you press TMS down.  This rejects the target and puts the ACM mode in vertical scan mode.  This requires another action to put the ACM mode back into boresight mode.  It would be ideal if you could reject a locked target and stay in boresight mode.  The hat switch is 5-way, so TMS could be mapped to fore, aft, port, starboard, and down.  For those without a 5-way switch, they could map a key to TMS reject.

Edited by Glide

• Glide changed the title to F-16 TMS reject separated from vertical scan mode
  • ED Team

Hey @Glide, several things to unpack here.

In the F-16C, if already in a ACM mode with a lock, TMS aft/down rejects the target and commands 30X20 non-radiating ("NO RAD" or radar off). This is correct behaviour.
It then requires either TMS up or TMS down (10X60) again to reactivate, this is also correct behaviour. 

Screen_230529_091003.jpg

Screen_230529_091005.jpg

The TMS switch is not a 5 axis type, it's only 4 axis in the F-16C, only forward/up, aft/down, left and right.
I'm not sure if you're basing yourself on your own joystick, I am referencing the real life sidestick for the F-16.

Are you asking to create a special condition in the button assignment to allow a "fictional" command? This would circumvent our intentions to reproduce a realistic HOTAS system.
I don't think this is possible, sorry. 

• Like 2

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

I see.  It's not so much "TMS reject".  It's more like "TMS return to default" to break the lock, and the system goes back to default state of non-radiating.  If you imagine it like a state diagram, I thought there would be a way to just return to the previous state of "radiating but not locked".   "TMS reject" is the fictional command.  You are not "rejecting" ; you are "resetting".  Thanks for the detailed feedback. 

Edited by Glide

• ED Team
19 hours ago, Glide said:

"TMS reject" is the fictional command.  You are not "rejecting" ; you are "resetting".

The available public documentation clearly states "reject target" and commands 30X20 non-radiating. If it breaks the lock on the FCR/HUD it is rejecting it. The fact that the ACM mode resets to NO RAD is a subsequent feature. All of it is reflected correctly in DCS.

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

It turns out the answer was there all along.  If you go Dogfight Mode, TMS up twice to get HMD boresight mode (the egg), TMS up breaks the lock and returns to HMD boresight mode (the egg) with radar emitting.  So, if you lock up a Blue force jet by mistake, just TMS up to break lock, put the egg on a Redfor jet, and you get a lock.  One click.