Own flight AI radio enhacements and other very needed improvements

falcon_120

Hello ED,all,

Recently I've had the opportunity to get back to some SP gameplay which i had abandoned for ages in favour of MP gameplay. However some good campagins which i wanted to try made me give it a try again.

Well, i must confess, i didn't remember how barebones current DCS flight radio control system and in general AI  flight behavior was. Let me summarize some very basic points missing for several years now:

• No command to fence in? Can't turn my flight to turn off their light, activate jammer...
  • Missing any basic BVR tactics even basic ones: chainsaw, banzai, a basic grinder
  • No ROE or similar that let me tell them how agressive i want them to be
  • No A2G tactics available, impossible to tell your wingman if you expect them to loft their bomb and avoid stupidly overflyin a target full of manpads.

Apart from some basic radio commands for that, some AI behavior is misisng the I on it:

• AI is not able to follow you on trail if you are low or in a valley
  • AI still run out of fuel and eject
  • AI run into a Radar SAM defended area and dies following bandits 
  • AI refuses to rejoin
  • AI still report threats 150km away...

I really think this is an area of the game that needs some love, and i really can't see how a DC could work in the current state of things, its really a challenge to keep the wingman alive in any mission.

Edited by falcon_120

• falcon_120 changed the title to Own flight AI radio enhacements and other very needed improvements

Not only do we need more options, but I think a better menu. Cluttering the current radio menu will make it even harder to find things and make issuing commands take longer. It's painful trying to micromanage a flight of more than 2.

Something that allows us to manipulate more information at once and also gives instant feedback would be helpful. I've proposed such a thing here:

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files