Adding KA-50 to other countries

RCN_Moose

Okay,

I'm going to make a MODMAN addin that will allow skin makers to make their KA-50 skins installable to their specific country. Currently you need to manually edit the db_countries file in order to get MODMAN to actually install a KA-50 skin for a country that doesn't have it in game (ie Canada)

I was just going to make an edited one for Canada, but realized that wouldn't work if people were going to add skins from multiple countries, you'd need to keep editing the db_countries file.

When finished, this MODMAN addin (just a modified db_countries file) will include the standard KA-50 skin available for ALL countries in game. This will have to be the first MOD installed with MODMAN. (ie if you have stuff already installed, you'll need to uninstall all mods, install this, then reinstall your MODS.

Once this is installed, IT WILL HAVE NO IMPACT ON CURRENT MODS. It will allow future MODS to be country specific for the KA-50. All you'll need to do is put your specific country ID in the lma7 file.

Current Countries available in game: (yes means the KA-50 is already available)

Russia - Yes

Ukraine

USA

UK

Turkey - Yes

Germany

Canada

France

Spain

Netherlands

Belgium

Norway

Denmark

Georgia

Isreal

Insurgents

I'll be re-releasing all of my skins to take advantage of this, so the Canadian Skins will be available under Canada, and the US skins under the US.

Edited by RCN_Moose

Okay, here it is. Standard MODMAN 7.1 rar pack.

Remember, you MUST uninstall any current MODS, install this, then you can reinstall your MODS.

This will make a standard skined KA-50 available to all countries in game.

Temporarily removed while I investigate some issues.....

Edited by RCN_Moose

:thumbup: Hey Moose - that's a great job!

One question though - do insurgents really need the KA-50?

Better make that two questions - if people want to fly a certain skin in a mission that is already in-game, then if the mission doesn't have that country as an ally, or even in the mission as a whole, then they will not be able to fly that skin? I would have to say, if we are able to install the "Standard" skin into all countries, then certainly we should be able to install the custom skins into say - country it was meant for, plus the original countries that fly the KA-50, because I'm sure there's people who've, like myself, yet to fly some or any (that would be me, training missions not included) of the missions. Something to think about.

CRD

Crazy,

That was the whole point of the file. It will allow you to install the custom skins into the country of your choice. (assuming whoever made the skin used the correct country code)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as a MODMAN addon. Whenever I go to add a skin after adding it, it unloads it to load the skin....:mad:

On a brighter note however, I've solved the damage issues with custom skins. All you need to do is add the additional skin files to the lma7 file.

Oh well, back to the drawing board for the countries issue.

I know what you're saying. I'm just thinking about the further consequences of following this path. I was wondering if it were possible to have modman install the skin to multiple countries with one install. That way you wouldn't have to edit existing missions in order to fly that skin. Playing devil's advocate here, Moose - not trying to complicate things further :(.

• 1 month later...

I have posted a modified db_countries file at lockonfiles

This file adds the KA-50 Standard skin to all countries. In order to use it you need to uninstall all MOD's with MODMAN, replace the db_countries files, then reinstall all your MODS. (always back up any files you change!)

Once you have this installed, you can install skins with MODMAN that use a different country code in the skin.lma7.

This will have no impact on MODMAN compliant skins (as long as they don't use a custom db_countries file themselves) It simply allows you to make a skin for any country by changing the country ID in the skin.lma7 file