Flight Control Caution

Avio

Was doing a strike mission when half way Caution lit up about problem with Flight Control, but no control issue as detected at first.

Sometime later, during a high-G pull-up from a steep dive, the plane started vibrating and control was mushy and a little sluggish. Managed to land back though.

Anyone encountered this before? What could have caused those issues?

*Edit* -- I did turn on only one bleed air blower (left or right), to bring down the cockpit noise as someone had suggested. Does that matter? Is avionics cooling simulated?

Edited by Avio

6 hours ago, Avio said:

Was doing a strike mission when half way Caution lit up about problem with Flight Control, but no control issue as detected at first.

Sometime later, during a high-G pull-up from a steep dive, the plane started vibrating and control was mushy and a little sluggish. Managed to land back though.

How many Gs is high-G? 12? 15?

6 hours ago, Avio said:

Perhaps you overstressed the airframe. Hard to tell exactly the cause of your issue without a lot of details. Can you reproduce and attach a track?

6 hours ago, Avio said:

Is avionics cooling simulated?

Yes

10 hours ago, Avio said:

*Edit* -- I did turn on only one bleed air blower (left or right), to bring down the cockpit noise as someone had suggested. Does that matter? Is avionics cooling simulated?

Yes you can overstress the airframe in high G manoeuvres. It's sometimes even visible if you look at your jet nose-on in external view that the wing is bent and curls up at the edge. Vibration and erratic slight rolling behaviour is often a symptom.

And yes you can overheat avionics. There is a warning light if it's occuring/likely to occur because you didn't throw the right switch at startup (I forget what it's called but it's on the right panel in the front seat).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Belated thank you, folks. Glad to see the eagle this well modelled.

About the max G allowable as shown on the HUD, it always show as 9G. Shouldn't it shows a smaller G number if the plane is loaded up with lots of ordnance? That way pilots would know how much G to pull without exceeding the limit.

As for the Flight Control Caution lighting up, I think it could be because I was in Autopilot and had proceeded to move the stick without first turning off the AP. Kind of like the warning one gets in the A10C.