MFCD display export too dim

16th Widowmakr

Im happy they are exporting the displays now but they are very dark and I cant seem to make them any brighter. Also the center display is off the screen on my second display. In the attached screenshot you can see all three but on my second monitor I can only see the left and right displays. Any ideas how to fix this? Also both monitors are the same size in windows but the right one seems a lot wider like in the screenshot but as I said I can only see the two displays on the second monitor.Screen_230724_215019.jpg

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

Export displays being very dim is an ED thing (same in other modules).  They are trying to find a solution, but apparently it's not a straight forward problem to solve so it's taking a while.  There is no easy solution you can do to brighten them.

Looks like your game is rendering a much wider area than your monitor, and the CENTER_MFCD viewport is being drawn off the edge of your second monitor.

Check the resolution defined in your game settings, and that it matches the resolution in your monitor config file. Also check where CENTER_MFCD is defined in your monitor config file.

1 minute ago, Bunny Clark said:

Looks like your game is rendering a much wider area than your monitor, and the CENTER_MFCD viewport is being drawn off the edge of your second monitor.

Check the resolution defined in your game settings, and that it matches the resolution in your monitor config file. Also check where CENTER_MFCD is defined in your monitor config file.

Sure enough my monitor setting in the game settings was incorrect. however they now don't show the center display at all and they are still way too dark to be of use. Will have to look at the monitor config lua and see what it is set to.

Now in Instant Action the displays are bright but in multiplayer they are very dim even when I raise the Bright and Contrast all the way. And I only see the left and right displays not the center any more. I attached my monitor config file after modifying the Center MFD co-ordinates.

wwtMonitor.lua

You MFD brightness issues are probably related to the in-game MFD brightness settings. In your screenshot it looks like it's a bit dark outside, so the in-game MFD brightness was probably turned down. That also makes the exported displays darker. If the instant action mission you loaded was daytime and MFD brightness was at max, that would explain the exports getting brighter.

2 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

You MFD brightness issues are probably related to the in-game MFD brightness settings. In your screenshot it looks like it's a bit dark outside, so the in-game MFD brightness was probably turned down. That also makes the exported displays darker. If the instant action mission you loaded was daytime and MFD brightness was at max, that would explain the exports getting brighter.

No, dim exported displays are an issue in DCS. Use reshade to fix it

Edited by MustangSally
  • Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

MustangSally

I managed to fix the dark viewports by playing with the AMD graphic software that came with the card.  However, the changes are not compatable with regular viewing so I have to go back and forth with the settings. 

Could you please explain how Reshade handles this?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

9 hours ago, MustangSally said:

No, dim exported displays are an issue in DCS.

Yes. They're an issue in DCS because of how the rendering engine handles display brightness vs ambient illumination. Dimming the in-game displays also dims the exported displays, but the displays rendered in-cockpit are also corrected for ambient light level and dynamic range. 

In daylight with MFDs set to max brightness the in-game and exported displays both look fine. At night, turn down the display brightness enough to be legible in-game and exported displays are basically invisible. Turn the brightness up enough for the exported displays to be legible and the in-game displays are completely blown out.

The Eagle, Apache and Hornet are very dim on my system without reshade

36 minutes ago, 16th Widowmakr said:

In my screenshot the in game brightness and contrast are turned all the way up and they are still too dim to be of use.

7 hours ago, sobe said:

MustangSally

I managed to fix the dark viewports by playing with the AMD graphic software that came with the card.  However, the changes are not compatable with regular viewing so I have to go back and forth with the settings. 

Could you please explain how Reshade handles this?

Use reshade...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/299921-ah-64d-exported-display-images-look-very-dark/

Edited by MustangSally