HAGS - Benefits with it turned on in VR

Dogmanbird

Please pardon me if this is old news 🙂

I've been trying it periodically over the last year or so, but till now it has been better with it turned off.

As of today, with the latest nvidia gpu driver and the latest AMD Chipset driver, turning HAGS on now sees a noticeable improvement to smoothness in DCS. I've now tested with it on and off several times and it's certainly improving things with it on, to the point where I can up the gfx settings in game. 

Testing on 5800x3d, MSI X570 mboard, rtx4090, win 11  22h2

On my system, still no significant difference between HAGS on or off.

In my test track (F-18/Caucasus), I get a 0.02ms difference in GPU average frametime (8.62 vs 8.64) and a difference of 0.05ms CPU average frametime (2.78 vs 2.83) which is within the margin of error. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, THE AMAZING PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/15E/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I'm presently using a reverb g2 with open composite. Reprojection is on which looks like it's sitting around 30 - 40fps out of the game, from the type of artefacts its producing.

Maybe It's just the consistency of reprojection it's helping? I wonder if only the WMR headsets are seeing the benefits?

Edited by Dogmanbird

17 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

I'm presently using a reverb g2 with open composite. Reprojection is on which looks like it's sitting around 30 - 40fps out of the game, from the type of artefacts its producing.

Maybe It's just the consistency of reprojection it's helping? I wonder if only the WMR headsets are seeing the benefits?

Thanks for this post mate.

I've just returned to DCS after a long absence (Since last September so literally just updated from the last 2.7 version this week !). I was getting a lot of micro-stutters in ST and reprojection was terrible in MT, even when the FPS counter was showing stable locked 45 or 30 FPS.

I tried your suggestion and turned HAGS on for the first time ever (We were always previously advised to leave it off). Both ST and MT are immediately smooth as silk with reprojection on.

I'm also convinced I'm getting better performance in DCS generally.

If others are not seeing the benefit I wonder if it's an AMD thing.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Glad to hear it's working for you too Shaun. Yeah might be an AMD thing.

MT is still worse than ST for me in VR, but the difference Hags has made to the smoothness of both, particularly in Sinai and Marianas and during loads of simultaneous explosions, is amazing. 

Edit - msfs2020, assetto corsa, automibilista 2, have all noticeably improved with hags on

Edited by Dogmanbird