Mission 5 Help Needed

Go to solution Solved by ChillNG,

Hi, I'm struggling to get past mission 5 (of this very excellent campaign) and wondered if anyone had any tips?

I can take out the SA15 using the LMAV, then pick off 4 of the rocket launchers using laser guided rockets, but the other four then seem to move off and I struggle to hit them. 

Is it that I'm taking too long by hitting one of the eight on each pass with a laser guided rocket? Is there a better technique to getting all 8?

Thanks for any pointers!

• Solution
4 hours ago, Pilot98 said:

Hi, I'm struggling to get past mission 5 (of this very excellent campaign) and wondered if anyone had any tips?

I can take out the SA15 using the LMAV, then pick off 4 of the rocket launchers using laser guided rockets, but the other four then seem to move off and I struggle to hit them. 

Is it that I'm taking too long by hitting one of the eight on each pass with a laser guided rocket? Is there a better technique to getting all 8?

Thanks for any pointers!

No you're doing it right, they are set to move off every time, it's a challenge to get them all.

However...

Spoiler

There is a trick I built into the mission, once the launchers get on the road they pass through a narrow section with steep embankment either side of the road, you can trap them here by taking out the front launcher.

But as always in my missions you can progress without killing them all, just need them all for max score.

• 5 months later...

I'm back to flying and trying to get through this mission. I realized I had poor engine management.

Among others, this campaign taught me to always have an eye on the fuel gauge.

On the flight to the target zone I am usually well ahead of the fuel prevision in the flight plan but when I get to shoot, I seem to run out of gas pretty fast. I hit the Gauntlet, the Shilka, the ZuS57, the Manoad dude, some launchers and I'm bingo shortly after the surviving launchers move. In a playthrough video I watched, he had time to looter a little hunting the launchers on the run and hit the secondary targets.

I know it's basic but still, any advice? (and no, I'm not at gate all the time, try to keep about 350TAS or M0. 6-0.7)

Another thing that makes me loose my patience... Although this is probably some button press I forget that has noting to do with the mission.

I carry the two LMAVs. I can launch the firs on all right, either on the Gauntlet or on one of the tanks. Fine. But then the second lmav wouldn't launch. I reviewed the procedure, firs missile works fine, no way to launch the second one. Really annoying.