Orion F-15EX Throttle - wait for it or go for F-18 instead?

Canadus

I wanted to pull the trigger on a WinWing Throttle right now, but did notice, that the F-15EX can only be preordered right now.

Is there any info, when those Grips will be available?
Should I go for a Throttle-Combo with the F-18 Grips instead?

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I purchased the F-15EX throttle combo on launch day, approx 45-1hr into the sale (order was confirmed and stated in progress). Still have not shipped yet. Opened a support ticket, and their response is "Sorry, the stock is temporarily short, we are producing and will replenish soon."

After I pressed them on providing some sort of monetary compensation for their screw up(Wednesday this week will be 4 weeks since purchase), ie free shipping, something along those lines....Their response was...

"Dear customer, if you don't wait so long, please cancel the order, we are sorry for the inconveneince."

I have had good luck with other orders from them, but this one specifically for the F-15EX stuff is an absolute mess on their end. 

One thing you might consider is getting the combo with the F-18 grips, then just ordering only the F-15E/EX grips when they finally have more. (but that is personal preference on if you want to go that route or not) I just won't be holding your breath for the F-15EX stuff to be regularly back in stock anytime soon...but could be wrong.

I would say, it depends:

Do you really NEED a new throttle or do you just have that „itch“ that you want something new?

What is your favourite module?

F-15 throttle probably offers more options in the long run whereas the F-18 throttle is still good and perfect for…well uhmm…the F-18 🙃.

From my experience with WW, if you can pre-order it, it will restock within a reasonable time. If I had to place a bet, I would say, if you pre-order now, you will have it at your doorsteps in october latest(!). 

Also mind 10% customs + 19% EUst.! (If you are not using their new EU store).

I am also from Germany. PM me, if you have any questions.

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

11 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Do you really NEED a new throttle or do you just have that „itch“ that you want something new?

Back into DCS after 2 years & want to finally retire my TWCS.
Not really interested to buy the Virpil one or go for the Warthog throttle in 2023, so WW seems like the best option.

What is your favourite module?

F-15 throttle probably offers more options in the long run whereas the F-18 throttle is still good and perfect for…well uhmm…the F-18 

Cold-War era jets at the moment. But lots of buttons on the throttle could not hurt, right 😀

Also mind 10% customs + 19% EUst.! (If you are not using their new EU store).

Good point. Wasn‘t thinking about the customs. 

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

I just changed my gear to winwing and got the F-16 throttle handle, also waiting for the F-15 handles and was tempted to go for F-18 but i will wait. The F-15 EX looks chunky with alot of switches and you can't get enough of that.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, Razor68 said:

I just changed my gear to winwing and got the F-16 throttle handle, also waiting for the F-15 handles and was tempted to go for F-18 but i will wait. The F-15 EX looks chunky with alot of switches and you can't get enough of that.

I have the F18/SuperTaurus and just got my F15EX.  It is a CHONK, bigger than the F18, but about the same dimensions as the F15 drawings for the actual throttle.   I cant say that its better than the F18, I'd say equal depending on what you use.  I fly VR and like a closer ergonomic match.   Fixed wing I fly the F14 and the F18 throttle is more closely aligned, but will eventually get into the F15.  The main reason I got it is because it's the closest I can have on my Taurus to the A10 and it has enough buttons/hats so I can better map the AH-64D controls to collective and stick respectively instead of a bunch of shift register stuff.

If only it would be re-stocked in the shop. 

My first impression on the VKB-Throttle is a bit too much plastic & not enough buttons & switches for my personal taste.
So WinWing will win here & I‘m ready to throw my money at them…

I put in a pre-order for throttle + F-15EX grips on August 3rd. Got the email saying they were in stock on the 25th, and they're now on the way.

It's worth noting that they don't take any money when you pre-order, it's effectively a no-obligation reservation. The in stock notification gives you 48 hours to complete the order.

• Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

7 hours ago, Brun said:

I put in a pre-order for throttle + F-15EX grips on August 3rd. Got the email saying they were in stock on the 25th, and they're now on the way.

It's worth noting that they don't take any money when you pre-order, it's effectively a no-obligation reservation. The in stock notification gives you 48 hours to complete the order.

That‘s great news. Thx for the info. 🙂

On 8/29/2023 at 2:29 PM, Brun said:

Just a quick update for anyone, hesitating to preorder with WinWing; it took them only 7 days, to process my preorder and send me info for payment. 
That‘s way faster than expected. 
I also did like the fact, that you only have to pay, once you‘re item is in stock again. 

So they won't charge credit card before that or block the amount? I would order from EU shop then if that is the case. Don't want to pay and wait months.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

They don't take any payment info at all when pre-ordering. On the global store at least.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

2 hours ago, Brun said:

They don't take any payment info at all when pre-ordering. On the global store at least.

Correct. I did preorder in the Global Shop, as their european warehouse is out of stock all the time.
No need for any payment, before your item is ready for shipping.

You have to pay tax & customs though, when shipping to the EU. Maybe keep that in mind.