F-104 related videos

Bremspropeller

Choo-Choo! All aboard the hypetrain!

Let's post videos about the 104 here.

I'll start with a dutch TV snippet from 1965 - at the heart of the "Starfighter Crisis" - containing an interview with a german Member of Parliament, and some interesting additional information (in Dutch, though). Like that 63% of all pilots who had crashed at this point had less than 1000 flight hours. This was at a time when the Luftwaffe in particular was playing catch-up while trying to handle a space-age moder jet fighter at a time when qualified personnel was hard to get and when logistics and the administrative structures were no beneficial for getting more than 700 (over 900 in total) of those jets within a relatively short time.

You may want to give the channel itself a visit, too!

• Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Not really historic, but ... 🤩

Edited by schmiefel
Additional content

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

I got to see a Zipper fly in person a couple times.

The first time was visiting my aunts in Arizona.  We were near Luke AFB and a couple flew past and banked away.  They were USAF marked Gs.

Last time was at Oshkosh some years back.  One was doing a demo.  It did a fast pass over the runway and zoom climbed from there.  After a few seconds, it just "vanished" and I could no longer see it.  Amazing to lose sight of it so quickly.  My eyes weren't that bad either.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

Post- and Pre-Flight inspections during the early times of F-104G flight ops (pre 1967, as indicated by the DD+241 code: 2. Staffel of JaboG 34 at Memmingen)

Startup:

1 finger at 10%, 2 fingers at 20%, 3 fingers at 30%, cut-off signal at 38%, GPU air needs to be switched off by 40%.

Seven-Finger check:

(no finger) 1st crew-chief engages torch-igniter for the afterburner, 2nd crew-chief checks it's function by looking for the glow

1) Speed Brake check

2) Flight Control check

3) Trim check

4) Stab Aug check

5) APC check

- RH AoA vane is checked to energize both stick-shaker and kicker (landing gear uplock override switch needs to be used for the kicker funtion)

- LH AoA vane is checked to energize the stick-shaker, the kicker must not fire

6) Flaps check

- BLC valves open at 16° deflection and need to be fully open at 45° - check for proper airflow on both wings

- check for no airflow at T/O (15°) on both wings

7) Emergency Nozzle Closure System check

Note the aircraft rolling, pitching and yawing during the runup check on the runway. That's the precession moments of the engine acting on the aircraft during the quick power changes.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Thanks 2

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

• Like 1

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...