what are those numerous small revetments supposed to be used for

twistking

I appreciate that the Syria map has preplaced positions for SAM sites. Hardened positions for SA-2 (maybe SA-5???) are quite easy to identify with their 4 to 6 big round revetmets for the launchers and a collection of bunkers that can also double as elevated radar positions.

However i am a bit puzzled about the hundreds of smaller, boxy revetments that can be found all across the map on airfields and soemtimes dotted around SA-2 sites. They are big enough to take an MBT, but are too high for an MBT to actually fire it's main gun above it. They are also facing random directions sometime, so i doubt they are for MBTs or artillery pieces. Maybe just random fortifications for supply trucks, spare parts, AA point defenses (IR, AAA) etc.?
I just feel that they are too numerous for AA point defense and trucks. So what are they used for?

5 hours ago, twistking said:

I appreciate that the Syria map has preplaced positions for SAM sites. Hardened positions for SA-2 (maybe SA-5???) are quite easy to identify with their 4 to 6 big round revetmets for the launchers and a collection of bunkers that can also double as elevated radar positions.

However i am a bit puzzled about the hundreds of smaller, boxy revetments that can be found all across the map on airfields and soemtimes dotted around SA-2 sites. They are big enough to take an MBT, but are too high for an MBT to actually fire it's main gun above it. They are also facing random directions sometime, so i doubt they are for MBTs or artillery pieces. Maybe just random fortifications for supply trucks, spare parts, AA point defenses (IR, AAA) etc.?
I just feel that they are too numerous for AA point defense and trucks. So what are they used for?

Triple-A positions.
Not all would be populated at the same time however, just randomly selected ones that would vary over a set timescale. The idea being that your enemy will undoubtedly know how many positions there are, but could never guarantee that any particular one WILL have a gun in it. It’s sort of akin to the “needle in a haystack” analogy.

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

1 hour ago, G.J.S said:

Triple-A positions.
Not all would be populated at the same time however, just randomly selected ones that would vary over a set timescale. The idea being that your enemy will undoubtedly know how many positions there are, but could never guarantee that any particular one WILL have a gun in it. It’s sort of akin to the “needle in a haystack” analogy.

thanks for the answer. didn't think of tactical shuffling;) when you say triple-A, you probably also mean point defense SAM, right? SA-13 and similar?!

18 hours ago, twistking said:

thanks for the answer. didn't think of tactical shuffling;) when you say triple-A, you probably also mean point defense SAM, right? SA-13 and similar?!

Absolutely! Any mobile system really. Any point Defense item can be in any revetment, or nearby. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

The nice thing is all of those revetments are objects that can be detected via scripting. Vast majority don't have anything in them. It is a very easy way to randomize object location without having to do extra calculations to ensure the objects aren't blocking a runway or anything like that. Simply search the area for that object type, filter objects as needed, and use their coordinates to place the dynamic group you want. Wish more maps had stuff like that. Sinai has some, but it is a lot more bespoke for certain system types and requires a little more work due to how it is implemented. 

• Like 3

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

The nice thing is all of those revetments are objects that can be detected via scripting. Vast majority don't have anything in them. It is a very easy way to randomize object location without having to do extra calculations to ensure the objects aren't blocking a runway or anything like that. Simply search the area for that object type, filter objects as needed, and use their coordinates to place the dynamic group you want. Wish more maps had stuff like that. Sinai has some, but it is a lot more bespoke for certain system types and requires a little more work due to how it is implemented. 
Ja! That's smart! One question though, once you have the revetment's coordinates, can you determine the unit's orientation so it spaws aligned with the revetment?

I'll try your method in my random template mission

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darcaem said:

Ja! That's smart! One question though, once you have the revetment's coordinates, can you determine the unit's orientation so it spaws aligned with the revetment?

Yeah you can get the heading of the object via getPosition and some math. One of the inputs for spawning a unit is a heading value so you just assign it to whatever you got as the heading. IIRC I had to offset the heading value by 90 degrees and the position slightly to better align the units. 

local unitpos = unit:getPosition()
local heading = math.atan2(unitpos.x.z, unitpos.x.x)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum