SA3/5 Iran

gmangnall

Iran has the ability to deploy the SA5 tracking radar and missiles - but not the search radar. Note I have not validated if all other countries have a similar issue other than knowing that Russia and Syria are ok. Similar issue with SA3 -- but not tracking radar avaible for Iran...making it unusable

Edited by gmangnall
typo
  • Like 1

I mean, the FCR's of just about every SAM system will have limited acquisition capability (even if its just somebody manually scanning at a particular azimuth and sweeping in elevation) and there's the fact that these systems were designed to be used as part of an IADS, without necessarily using their colocated acquisition radars.

Unfortunately, IADS capability doesn't exist in DCS (beyond mods like Skynet) so battalion level radars are all we have to work with.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• gmangnall changed the title to SA3/5 Iran

Whilst it might be true that IRL they were part of an IADS that IADS would still be controlled by a search radar - even if that's just an EWR station rather than a Tin Shield SR..indeed even in Russian service - thats how they normally operated ie. at batallion level with just the Tracking radar and launch nodes. There is no point putting a SAM system in the game which cannot be used. This is an oversight by ED and can be fixed by amending a LUA file. As for manually scanning. The SA5 is a long range radar with a nominal range of over 150km

.....and have just noticed something similar with the SA3 which has a search radar but no tracking radar for Iran making it completely unusable. Russia and Syria are fine. Iran never actually used the SA3 so maybe that should be removed.

This has possibly been noted before 

As someone who makes older scenarios it would be nice to have this fixed.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄