New Patch 2.9 really bad Visuals (blurry) with the Pimax Crystal

Nedum

So I repaired DCS (slow), deleted the fxo and metshader2 folders, no mods, reset the OpenXR Toolkit, disabled the Toolkit. Was testing all possible settings, but the visual in VR are extreme blurry.

This looks really bad, like DLSS is working all the time, no matter which setting I am using.

2.8 crystal clear, 2.9 it's like I am playing VR with a Quest Pro. The problem is, the resolution, GPU usage and FPS are the same as with 2.8.

I need a hint what I have to do to fix it.

DxDiag.txt

@BIGNEWY could you shift this thread in the VR Bug forum plz? Thank you.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

• Nedum changed the title to New Patch 2.9 really bad Visuals (blurry) with the Pimax Crystal

As a fellow Crystal user I can confirm I am experiencing the same sorts of issues. If I am unable to resolve tomorrow I will switch to my 8KX to see if the issues are restricted to the Crystal. 

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

If you are using Quad-Views-Foveated, the current issues with eye tracking may be causing this.

See the workaround in my post here: 

This wouldn't happen if ED could implement proper support via XR_VARJO_foveated_rendering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Yeah I’m having the same issue. I’m not using DLAA nor DLSS. I went back to regular MSAA 4X and it got a little better. People are calling it ghosting, the knobs and MFDs are reflecting such ghosting effects.

Edited by Yuma

Updating Quad Views to version 1.1.3 fixed the clarity and fps problems for me, thank you mbucchia so so much 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Yuma said:

I’ve noticed that by increasing the DFR resolution 200% to 250% in Quadviews companion the ghosting goes away or at least improves

Yes, here is the answer, although I personally get more performance by raising PD in DCS. But hey, you can try this thing I put here:

To do this you will have to edit your QVF config file

In my opinion, I also find that the graphics quality in VR has significantly deteriorated compared to 2.8. I have tried all possible settings, but the screens and especially the writing seem blurred, and overall the quality of the display has decreased. Units smear when I quickly change the viewing direction, and especially the sharpness of the writing as well as the screens and HUDs has suffered greatly.

It can't be that I install a new update and then I have worse immersion than before.

For all who doubt my hardware: RTX 4900, 7800X3D, 2x4 TB Samsung 990 Pro, ASUS 670e-e Gaming Plus Wifi. My VR is not a Pimax, but basically, it doesn't matter, because as described, I had a clearer picture before the 2.9 beta update, and in the stable version, I still have a clear picture, as it runs on 2.8.

34 minutes ago, Schemo82 said:

In my opinion, I also find that the graphics quality in VR has significantly deteriorated compared to 2.8. I have tried all possible settings, but the screens and especially the writing seem blurred, and overall the quality of the display has decreased. Units smear when I quickly change the viewing direction, and especially the sharpness of the writing as well as the screens and HUDs has suffered greatly.

It can't be that I install a new update and then I have worse immersion than before.

For all who doubt my hardware: RTX 4900, 7800X3D, 2x4 TB Samsung 990 Pro, ASUS 670e-e Gaming Plus Wifi. My VR is not a Pimax, but basically, it doesn't matter, because as described, I had a clearer picture before the 2.9 beta update, and in the stable version, I still have a clear picture, as it runs on 2.8.

If you've applied DLSS, DLAA or TAA then you will get smearing unless running at very high resolution.  I see practically no smearing in the aero but then it's so much higher resolution than any other headset bar the crystal.

Almost a double edged sword, DLSS in VR, it can help the lower level hardware with good performance increases but it hurts them so much more if running at lower resolution.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I've tried various settings with my Pimax Crystal and I am getting good framerates around 72Hz. I'm using 4070 so not expecting more and satisfied with that.

I have not found DLSS useful at all despite lots of experimentation, though I am using DLAA.

Tbh though there are so many layers and moving parts I do not have a mental grasp of the whole renderchain any more, despite the fact I used to be a 3D game engine programmer 10 years ago (ML/AI now).. I don't know how less techie users manage apart from randomly tweaking stuff and hoping for the best.

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS