Long standing performance issues that I could never really fix (especially with Quest headsets)

Eldur

I've been having performance issues in VR for quire a while now, with two major impact points...
- the first of which being somewhere in late 2020 crippling my DCS performance heavily when using a Metabookulus Quest of any kind (don't have a Pro, though) - which I couldn't solve yet
- the second being a major performance impact in VR only with the 2.8 update last November, apparently only really affecting that WMR garbage with the Reverb G2 which was very promising when I still had the 1080 in the rig, but basically didn't gain any performance at all by upgrading to the 3070, plus adding a ton of WMR crashes since (still got the old cable, waaay out of warranty, and I honestly don't wanna fix that anymore while having a Q3 with way better lenses) already before taking the hit, which it only partially recovered from with the step to the MT - and now the addition of DLSS.

I started typing this in the patch notes thread with this, but thought it'd be better off as a single post over here:

Imagine being just barely able to run the thing at 30ish fps in the G2 at 2456x2404 per eye on a 3070 that was over a grand and then reading this... (and yes, I know the 4090 is a completely different piece of kit)

16 hours ago, KCOOL said:

At 4852x47xx, someone said it was optimal for G2

Weirdly enough, I'm pretty much locked at 90fps in the CV1 at 2160x2400 per eye. Quest performance is almost similarly as bad as the G2's, I just recently was happily able to post a 90fps screenshot based on the Snapdragon Game Super Resolution thing and Synchronous Space Warp in Virtual Desktop. Only to find out later that VD displays twice the frame rate that DCS does with SSW enabled. I'm literally pegged to 180fps in pancake at 1290x1200 with the same settings, but even DLSS doesn't really seem to help in VR.

My specs are in my profile, I need to update the driver versions and settings though, so here are my current ones:

dcs-settings-2023-2.9-release-c.jpg

nvidia-settings-2023-dcs-2.9-release-c.jpg

Running MT client with --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR. As opposed to my settings in the profile banner, I've disabled the single pass stereo line a while ago and kept it off as it apparently doesn't make any difference anymore (it absolutely did a few years back). HAGS is off. Can't enable REBAR (requirement checker is all green-lit, but it doesn't work and basically kills all my system's S3 state capabilities), so I left that off in BIOS.

I'm still on the 537.13 driver, though, but I guess I won't see any major impact through updating since I'm having the issues with the Quests which are my main target to fix for years now and no driver update ever changed that. Something kills my performance for WMR and the Quests in both (Air/Cable) Link and Virtual Desktop. Only VR that runs nice and smooth is the CV1. I'm carrying around this issue for 3 years now, went through 2 new Quest lines, a completely new rig, a GPU swap in that one and an OS reinstall as well as trying all the shenanigans and settings that others suggest both here and in various YT videos. I literally had better frames in the Reverb G2 at the default 3168x3100 with the same rig, but still the 1080 instead of the 3070 in there...

I've basically tried anything except for taking the step to Win 11 and using the OpenXR toolkit. I just want to be able to really enjoy my DCS in VR again... thanks for any help in advance!

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Try the toolkit, Foveated Rendering gives you some FPS if needed. Turbo on some more. FSR 77-78 in toolkit (quality mode).

Before 4090 I run 3080 in HP G2 pretty well. Similar DCS settings than you, but x16 in Nvidia control panel, 45 FPS at 4200x41xx resolution. Mssa x2.

My 4090 did not handle 4852x 47xx in DCS 2.9, crashes. In tried.once.

Edited by KCOOL