Artillery/Rocket Launcher Questions

CRUD
Go to solution Solved by Northstar98,

So, I am a former Redleg (Fire Support was my game) that means I am easily confused.  I have questions about the artillery in game.

1.  When using fire at point or any other fire command is altitude the altitude of the target or the firing unit?  IRL altitude was of the target and was pretty much ignored unless it was greater than 100 meters difference, I'm sure in the digital age it's accounted for to the meter at this point if not closer. 

2. Rounds expended, is that referring to the number of expended by the unit or the firing piece?  IRL a "Battery or Battalion "6" means every gun fires 6 rounds.  So a "battery 6" would be 36 rounds. 

3.  Anyone have a good script for a Lift and Shift of Fires?  I'm experimenting with triggers but I don't think it's working..

Thanks

Edited by CRUD

• Solution
On 10/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, CRUD said:

1.  When using fire at point or any other fire command is altitude the altitude of the target or the firing unit?  IRL altitude was of the target and was pretty much ignored unless it was greater than 100 meters difference, I'm sure in the digital age it's accounted for to the meter at this point if not closer.

The altitude setting determines the altitude of the fire-at-point aiming point. If you're trying to engage a target on the ground, you should leave the altitude at 0. If you add altitude, you'll find that whatever unit is doing the firing will be aiming high to hit the aim point, which will be up in the air.

This altitude setting is more intended for setting up AAA barrage fire. Of course if you have it set to MSL and then have the altitude equal to that of your target you'll get the same result as having the setting off (i.e AGL altitude of 0).

It might be useful for attacking structures that are significantly tall enough though. For instance, when attacking bridges, I've found that I sometimes end up hitting the ground directly below the bridge and not the deck of the bridge itself - adding some altitude can be used to raise the aimpoint up to the height of the deck resulting in much more hits onto it. Similar things for buildings - if you wanted to hit a building high-up for whatever reason (perhaps to hit a certain floor as opposed to ground level) it can be used to do that.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, CRUD said:

2. Rounds expended, is that referring to the number of expended by the unit or the firing piece?  IRL a "Battery or Battalion "6" means every gun fires 6 rounds.  So a "battery 6" would be 36 rounds. 

Last I checked it was the total number of rounds to be fired by a group as set in a mission editor. It doesn't matter how large the group is, they will (or rather should) stop firing once the total number of rounds reaches what's set in the settings. If you want to have a certain number of rounds fired per gun, your best option is to take the number you want and multiply it by the number of guns you have in your group.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

8 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

The altitude setting determines the altitude of the fire-at-point aiming point. If you're trying to engage a target on the ground, you should leave the altitude at 0. If you add altitude, you'll find that whatever unit is doing the firing will be aiming high to hit the aim point, which will be up in the air.

This altitude setting is more intended for setting up AAA barrage fire. Of course if you have it set to MSL and then have the altitude equal to that of your target you'll get the same result as having the setting off.

Last I checked it was the total number of rounds to be fired by a group as set in a mission editor. It doesn't matter how large the group is, they will (or rather should) stop firing once the total number of rounds reaches what's set in the settings. If you want to have a certain number of rounds fired per gun, your best option is to take the number you want and multiply it by the number of guns you have in your group.

Good stuff thanks for the clarifications.  Yeah, altitude was confusing (when you know enough to be dangerous) since it can be part of the NATO Call For Fire. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CRUD said:

Good stuff thanks for the clarifications.  Yeah, altitude was confusing (when you know enough to be dangerous) since it can be part of the NATO Call For Fire. 

Just so you're aware, I added an addendum as the altitude setting can be used to better engage certain targets (for instance, if you were trying to shell a bridge, you might find that your rounds are aimed at the ground below the bridge and not the deck of the bridge - adding some altitude can get the aimpoint on the deck). Obviously depends on the angle your rounds come down at and how high and wide the bridge is.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.