Patriot (and S-300PS) radar tracking behaviour question

foltrever

So, according to wikipedia (and Habitual Linecrosser, whos a Patriot operator) the Patriot doesn't give a launch warning, it only gives you a warning once the missile goes active. My question is now what variant of the patriot missile we have modeled.

The same thing should be with the S-300PS that also uses TVM and should only give a warning in the terminal phase when it uses SARH (according to wikipedia).

I spent more than a decade on patriot. We have a pac-2 era patriot modelled in-game, although the EPP is incorrect , as is the ICC, and one of the amg masts is backwards 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

well, its easy to miss that the antenna is backwards to be honest. its an easy mistake.  compare the doglegs at the upper portion of the antenna. on the DCS one theyre both facing the same way (the rear one is backwards) . in reality, theyre supposed to point opposite ways

nullimage.pnghttp://www.maquetland.com/v2/images_articles/20(14).jpg

as far as the RWR indications, i honestly dont know. patriot lives in a very insular world, and theres a lot of tribal knowledge that never gets questioned or vetted. nowadays, 10+ years after leaving, theres a lot of things im not quite as sure of as i was when i was in linecrosser's shoes. not to mention we come from different generations of patriot operators- i transitioned to patriot in '01 and even then, my experience was different from the folks running the systems in gulf war ten years prior.

we told ourselves no one could detect our radar  (despite the contradiction posed by the not-to-be-touched-under-any-circumstance-ever "TVM Spoof" switch indicator) yet allied pilots in '03 era kept complaining about being locked on by patriot. confusing, as we dont have any sort of indication of a lock of any sort in the van..

but it wasnt till years after i got out that i started questioning "what is the system really doing" - at a level perhaps only high level engineers at raytheon may know, certainly not anyone down in the army. consider when evaluating traffic, i "hook" a track, interrogate the IFF, look over the screen that shows the track data....and decide the track isnt interesting. so mentally i move on, but from the systems perspective, i still have that track hooked and it doesnt know if im still making a decision, or if ive fallen asleep at the console (its quite hypnotic in the van, and everyone falls asleep eventually in there). whats the system doing? is it continually checking back on the track often enough that the pilot feels theyre being locked on? or does the system ignore the track till i ask it to take further action?

so really...i dont know

additionally, the statement that the missile "goes active" is odd in this context

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE